Fly Tying

Article - The Adult Dobson Fly

Here is something I am sure everyone will enjoy! Graham has done a very informative tutorial on tying an Adult Dobson Fly. For people like myself this gives a glimpse into the world of tying realistic flies and I must say that I am impressed and amazed. For anyone wanting to get into tying realistics YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!

Great work on the tutorial Graham that is just amazing. Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of our enjoyment headbang.gif

Adult Dobson Fly

user posted image

Hey B.C., thanks Bro. It definitely takes longer to do the write up and match the photos to the text than it does to tye the fly. I noticed some of the pics are missing, the ones which show how to trim the plastic to make the mini pincers, and finishing the top of the head. I can post them? I think I showed some stuff that would work well on other patterns as well, and when I make legs and wings, I usually make a bunch at a time, actually have a box full of different colored and prepared Swiss Straw, legs and eyes to use. About a year ago I spent an entire evening just making eyes in different colors and sizes, probably still have over a hundred sets left. This makes banging out fly’s much quicker.

Graham

That was excellent graham. You made it look easy with your step by steps. That answers my question of how they use feathers for legs!

BFR

Thanks Guys,

Yesterday evening I placed the fly in a bowl of water, the fly rode flush in the film for about 1 hour, then the head sank down and the fly was suspended with the tail pointing up. Not what I really wanted, but I think this is a good fly to fish under the right conditions.

This is a pattern I'm still experimenting with, the pic below is the one I sent in for the FTF Contest, had two sets of wings, and one more thorasic section, which included more foam up front, probably floats much longer.

user posted image

Graham

Graham,

Thanks for the article. Fantastic tutorial. You just don't find many realistic tying tutorials and yours is just awesome.

I was just thinking, but if you modified the pattern slightly, then you should be able to make an adult stonefly as well. So this is a two for one deal pattern. laugh.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Mar 8 2005, 08:55 PM)
Here is something I am sure everyone will enjoy! Graham has done a very informative tutorial on tying an Adult Dobson Fly. For people like myself this gives a glimpse into the world of tying realistic flies and I must say that I am impressed and amazed. For anyone wanting to get into tying realistics YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!

Great work on the tutorial Graham that is just amazing. Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of our enjoyment headbang.gif

Adult Dobson Fly

user posted image

Delicious... tongue.gif