Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peddler

Renzetti help needed

I have an older Renzetti Presentation that has a little end play. The bent shaft moves ever-so slightly axially. It is a small amount of slop but it just bugs me.

Reading the directions this can be caused by wear or when it is disassembled for cleaning. It is supposedly eliminated by adjusting the 'actuator support'. I took of the Phillips end screw, end cap and rotary actuator, backed out the 3/32" Allen screw from inside and am now stuck. The actuator support will not budge. I spoke with Mr. Renzetti Friday and he said the actuator support is threaded. Couldn't prove that by me. It is so tight my guess is that it is welded!

The soft brass and aluminum those parts are made of don't take kindly to pliers, Channel-Locks, Vise-Grips or pipe wrenches I would imagine. I need to fix that play. If anyone has been successful in eliminating that end play, please send advice.

Thanks,

Jack

If it were mine I'd ship it to Renzetti and have it re-conditioned to like new and enjoy it for many years to come. Good Luck cool.gif

Send it back? Nope, though I'm sure Renz would service the heck out of me, I'm a tinkerer and love messing around with my gear. I just need to know how the actuator support is adjusted. The manual tells, but mine just won't budge.

Aluminum and stainless threads can gaul if not lubricated with never-sieze during assembly. If this is what has happened... and I don't know that it is.....you had better send it back to Ren or you may make a boat anchor out of it. If the threads are gaulded it may never come apart short of drilling and re-tapping. I destroyed an aluminum automobile steering box with this very problem and it was only finger tight before I tried to disassemble it.

Good luck

Ditz

My point exactly, if you break it while trying to free the part Renzetti will probably want to know why you were prying on it with a pipe wrench. If however they discover it is gauled or frozen in place you'll probably be sent a brand new vise judging by my past experience with them.