Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Craft Fur Clouser

Craft Fur Clousers aren't like deer hair closures. Sure they look similar, and tied in similarly as well. However, I find that there are a few things that make the craft fur closure more difficult to tie than the original buck tail clousers. I go over some of the techniques that make it easy though, and once. you learn these, they actually become quicker and easier than their natural cousin.

One thing about craft fur is that it flows very nicely in the water. That makes this the perfect material for small closures. I have tied them down to size 16 even, and you still get a little movement even. Thats the thing, I find bucktail closures work much better than craft fur clousers when tied larger. Usually size 2 and up. You could even get away with a size 4 in bucktail, but I feel its important to get that movement, so smaller than that, I always reach for craft fur.

1 hour ago, richmce said:

nice video with new to me ideas.   i use satin threads on alot of clousers

Hey thanks, glad you like it, and glad it gave ya some ideas.  I’ve not used satin before, what’s the benefit of it? 

colors are endless,durable  and very inexpensive.  also works mixed with bucktail,craft hair as an accent you also get  a shiny and dull strand from the opposite side.    run it over a dryer sheet to remove static in cold months

2 hours ago, richmce said:

colors are endless,durable  and very inexpensive.  also works mixed with bucktail,craft hair as an accent you also get  a shiny and dull strand from the opposite side.    run it over a dryer sheet to remove static in cold months

Oh I thought it was a thread.  Haha!   Ok so satin fur?  Where do you find it?

satin is at hobby lobby,wallmart,any crafyt store. also pick some at garage sales super hero capes, frozen movie doll dresses.  most are sold cut off a bolt of fabric  you can just ask for one foot length which is 54 inches wide.  i avoid satin charmuse which is strechy    cut a 4 x 4 inch square  and pull the strands apart you can add to dubbing loop,tie on in the middle and fold over,and reverse tie works good too