Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Carp fishing

Has anyone ever fished for carp with a fly rod? There is a member on this board, that is on and off of it, and he fishes for carp, and I have just recently gotten him into fly fishing. I asked him if he wanted me to try and tie him up some carp flies and send them to him, and obviousoly, he jumped on the offer. But I have never heard of a carp fly. dunno.gif Has anyone else? If so, could you upload the pattern to the database, or just tell me? Thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

I have caught a few carp on a fly rod - what a rush. I'd recommend a search for CARP FLIES on google and see what comes up. Carp eat alot of things, and you can catch them on buggers, nymphs, even clousers.

The first one I ever caught was when I wanted to test out an old 8wt fiberglass rod that I bought at auction for a few buck. Just to see if it could haul the freight, I cheated and went to a spot I know of with a muhlberry tree, popped one on a hook, and tossed it in. A few seconds later, my reel was singing. He took me to the backing. The old rod held up, but it took 20 minutes to bring him in.

well....all round nymphs work...spring and early summer, mulberry flies, cottonseed flies, corn flies, grass flies...the dries are for when the carp are clooping....scuds work, crane fly nymphs, PT's and variants...little black wet flies, buggers, samll clousers, dace patterns...there are a lot...I have no pics though...we will have to shoot for a roughfish fly swap...I see if I can get the boys at roughfish.com on their benches, that would be the best way to do it, then we could database the patterns.

tight lines.

HDS

Hi folks, Corey from roughfish.com piping in here -

The LaFontaine Deep Sparkle Pupa is a very effective carp pattern, especially when blind fishing. Not sure if it is in your database or not; I'll upload it if it isn't. When sight fishing a Hare's Ear with two bright chartreuse rubber legs tied in as a tail allows you to see the take in stained water. The strike is almost always imperceptible so your fly needs to be visible.

During the White Drake hatch (Ephoron leukon) on the Mississippi a Klinkhammer Special #12 tied in pale cream seems to do the trick. If you can keep the smallies off it that is ...

large damsel fly nymphs work really well here, as do many of the larger mayfly nymph imitations. Most of whitlocks flies are actually carp flies that trout also take rather than the opposite. heres a link to some Carp Flies

they will also take crayfish.... basically think what a trout eats, make it a little bigger than normal usually, and thats what a carp eats, then add in things like mulberries and dogwood fluff.

steve

My best carp fly has been a small brown wooly bugger. I also have found that trying to get fish that aren't already actively feeding to hit a fly are very difficult; however, if the carp are rumaging about and actively searching for a meal, the process slants slightly more in favor of the angler.

Corey....glad to see someone made it over!!! Did you see my post??

Rf, I love to hang into the big boys with a flyrod. I use a lot of dark woollybuggers; but have also caught them on breadcrusts, craw patterns, beadhead hare's ears, bead head copper john's tied in 12-14, and small minnow patterns. With Carp it's really hit or miss unless you know what the local ecology of the water is.....think about the waters you fish and try think what is in the water that they may be feeding on and when....

The only top water fly i have ever taken them on is a "mulberry"......otherwise, to echo what everyone else has said, just about any nymph, crayfish imitation has worked for me...........I've been taken into my backing many a time......It seems like they have a lot of power on the first run, but not much stamina after that.......

I have a question for you guys that i have always wondered about,cottonwood seeds!

I have heard for along time about carp eating cottonwood seeds,are you guys talking about the whole seed and white "fluffy" part that floats around in the wind?

Do they have alot of nutritinal value to them or something?

SD

its the cottony fluff stuff that lands in the water. I have seen em slurp em down. Don't know why, i would imagine maybe they taste good to the carp? They would also be packed with energy, as seeds normally are.

steve

do a search for a fly called the MC2 (mini craw). a local tyer uses it all the time here on the grand river not far from lansing and says it is a deadly fly. they are not as big as a regular craw fly making them alot easier to cast.

I live in the midwest and this past weekend I hooked up with 2 very large carp on chartreuse clousers, just by drifting the fly. The water was very cold, but you warm up in a hurry when your drag starts screaming.