Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Clearing eyes of debris

Anyone else use a heated bodkin to clean out the eyes of flies of unwanted feather or hair remnants? Am I the only one, I'll tell ya, it works like a charm.

steve

I have one of the old plastic melting tools. Runs on 2 AA batteries and the tip heats up. I use it to clean up any problems, the only thing you have to watch is you don't catch the thread with it.

Fatman

I use various size sewing needles when needed to clear out or open eyes. Hold them in a small pair of pliers while I heat them.

Every so often I crowd the eye, leaving ends or whatever I can't trim off. Last month at my UFT table I crowded the eye on a steelhead pattern - out came the lighter; held the hackle back with one hand, singed and cleaned with the brief pass of the lighter flame.

Yes, I also use a heated bodkin when I think of it, but an alcohol lamp or lighter works (on larger patterns, anyway)

Try taking an odd hackle and running it through the eye right after you put head cement on - it soaks up the excess and cleans out the eye. I keep one on my desk for that. I also use that heated wire tip thingee when the hackle doesn't work.