Fly Tying

Welcome to my first swap as swapmeister. I have a severe lack of caddis flies, so I thought I would open up a caddis swap. Smokemountainstonefly is also hosting a caddis swap, but I think his is going to be emergers only.

I would like to have an anyting caddis swap, larvae, pupa, emerger, dun or spinner. Any stage of any species of caddis fly. We'll keep this one wide open and hopefully get a nice variety.

The swap will be the first 12 people to post here with "I'm in." I'm thinking of setting a due date of the beginning of May. Ideally I was thinking of May 10th. It's not as much time as other swaps, but I tie quick when I'm in a swap and I like to keep things rollin along. headbang.gif

Looking forward to this one.

Actually, SD just brought to my attention the fact that a lot of you guys are often in two or three swaps at a time, so considering that, I think we'll move that due date to the last day in May.

MTG

I dont think I've tied a caddis in 22 years of tying. Beleive it or not, its true! Point me in the direction of a few samples to go by and I'll give it a try. New territory, so it may be a little rough.

Duckydoty

That's ok. I don't think I've tied one yet either so it'll be new to me too. I have a book of some patterns, so I'll take a picture of a couple that I think look cool, and give you thier formulas.

Also, if you go to troutnut.com they have a great tutorial on tying all kinds of elk hair caddis flies. And I assume once you know the basic principals of them, you could imporvise if you wanted to come up with your own.

OK, let me see what I can do. Also, I'm not sure if you've ever been there, but if you go to troutnut.com that site has a ton of "trout food" pictures, and I think it shows just about every stage of a caddis fly, but I'll also take some pictures of the different stage patterns to give you an idea of what the flies usually look like.

MTG

Ok here ya go ducky. Here is a picture of a couple hair wing caddisflies (I think almost every caddisfly dry fly pattern I've seen is hairwing): user posted image

This picture isn't real clear, but if you want the formula, just pm me.

Here is a pic of some larva flies: user posted image

And I had trouble uploading the pic of the pupa, but if you go to the pattern database and search for "deep sparkle pupa," that 's a pretty good example of one. wink.gif

Thanks for joining in, and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

MTG