Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

A Late Intro

I signed on a couple of weeks ago, and didn't get past the fly tying forums. Found this site over on the river smallies board.

As my handle implies I live in Philadelphia and do the bulk of my fishing within a 50 mile radius of my home. I've been dabbling in fly fishing and fly tying for about 13 years, but only in the last 6 have I put away the other gear and switched over to mainly fly fishing. Same is true with my tying, sporadic and ineffective despite taking several classes. Only after I joined a fly fishing e-mail list and was shown a whole new world tucked away on the internet and fly swaps, did my tying start to improve to the point that I'm not embarressed to show folks my flies.

What do I fish for? Anything dumb enough to my flies. Where do I fish? Mostly SE PA, I consider the Wissahickon Creek my home stream. But also fish Ridley and Valley. I also get up to Ontario, Vermont and New York each year. Salt Water, mainly the Jersey Shore from AC south to Cape May, though I may be one of the few people who have fly fished on Guam.

Looks like this is going to be a fun place to hang out.

Philly it sounds like you get a chance to fish a pretty broad range of waters and species and I'm always interested in seeing some Smallie flies wink.gif

Welcome Philly from the other end of the state. I'm located N.E. of Pittsburgh near the Allegheny River.

I too fish Cape May. We vacation there every summer. This year was the first time in thirty years that I was unable to fish on vacation due to small craft warnings the entire week.

My wifes cousin isa from Philly and he has a summer place in Villas. I ususlly spend several days of my vacation with him on the bay or the ocean.

I've never fly fished the area. I read an article recently about fly fishing around the cape and I wouldn't mind trying it sometime. If you've done any fly fishing in that area, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

And about your flies. I wouldn't be too concerned about how they look to other people. Tie them to suit yourself. If you're not doing production tying, who cares. I'm sure the fish don't. Lee Wolff developed the Wolff type flies and hre always complaind that tiers tied them too neatly. They were designed to tied rough. It's been my experience that the more beat up a fly got, the better it fished.

Again welcome.

D. Waterflogger

Thanks for the Welcome

J. Johnson:

I put in my $0.02 over on RS every so often.

SmallieHunter:

You'll be seeing some smallie flies as I'm sending some in for the tying contest. My flies are interchangeable, what I fish in salt, I fish in fresh. What I fish for panfish, I use for smallies.

Waterflogger:

This was a lousy year down the shore, wind and weatherwise. Let me know when you'll be down that way and I'll see if I can pry some secret locations from the members of my salt water flyfishing club. In the summer, a lot of the fly action is at night or in the early morning before the boat traffic gets heavy. If you can find some flats in the bays along the ICW, sometimes you can do some sight fishing for stripers.

I always tie my flies to suit myself, and I have hundreds gathering dust to prove it.