Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Biot Stonefly

The stonefly is a staple food source for many trout around the world.  Not all river systems or lakes have them in there, but when they are present, trout cannot turn down such a large meal.  These Biot stoneflies work really well as a golden stonefly imitation, but I have seen them tied in black, brown, olive and more.  So get creative with them.  They aren't the easiest to tie, but they are heavy so they will sink well, and work wonderfully as a lead fly to bring down a lighter fly behind it.  That is if you are fishing a tandem fly system.   They also seem to get more bites than some other patterns ive fished as well.  

Once you get the hang of these though, they really aren't too hard to tie.  And you do not have to double up the lead the same way I did here.  If you want to tie it lighter, you could also use another material instead of lead to widen up the abdomen.  In fact I have seen some people use pre cut pieces of plastic over the hook to get a wider abdomen.  All the rest would be tied the same way.  

To be honest I dont even know the real name of this fly.  I call it the Biot Stonefly but, Im sure there is another name for it.  If any of you know, please let me know in the comment section.  

Materials
Biots:  Turkey Biot Quill (yellowish tan)
Dubbing:  Hareline, Hares Ear (natural)
Lead:  Lead Wire (0.010, and 0.015)
Marker:  Colored Sharpie (brown)
Wing Case:  Turkey Tail Feather (cinnamon tip)
Legs:  Hen Saddle (small, brown/speckled)
Glue:  Loctite Brush On
Thin Resin:  Solarez Ultra Thin
Thick Resin:  Solarez Medium

10 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Stonefly is close enough. Have a population around these parts.

It can be tied to any coloration to mimic local stonefly populations for sure.  Give it a try.