Fly Tying
Alex C.

Shadow Boxes

One of your best bets is a Walmart. Go to their craft section and check out what they have. I have made a few as retirement gifts. Usually run about $8-12 US for most of them (and some of the bigger ones are a good $20 less then the ones at Michaels). Just that the craftstores like Michaels has a better array of them.

Most craft stores have shadow boxes. I get mine at Michael's for about $15 for an 8"x6" and $20 for an 8"x10"

I found shadowbox frames in the sizes you list at Target for $1.99 - $7.99. One of the 4X6 frames was even cheaper!! Good looking frames, and hard to beat the price--but the selection was hit or miss.

Hey Skunked, I got your frame from Michaels, they have a decent selection. A local fly shop has some real nice ones designed for mounting flies, but they are very expensive. They come with little clear pieces of solid plastic, about 1/2" to 3/4" long, glue on end to the back of the frame and glue the fly hook onto the other end, allowing for not smashing the fly against the back. The plastic leaves I put your fly on was from Michaels as well.

Do you really need a shadow box? I put a fly in a regular picture frame over a trout stamp. With matting, there was plenty of room.

Do you really need a shadow box? I put a fly in a regular picture frame over a trout stamp. With matting, there was plenty of room.

Some flys I will be able to use a regular frame, but tre others that will need to be put in a shadow box, I am making the border of my tying room with framed flys and framed pics of my favorite fishing spots, and pics of places on my wish list. Should come out pretty nice, and will keep me motivated and inspired throughout the year