Fly Tying
Addict

parachutes

QUOTE (conehead @ May 19 2005, 12:09 AM)

Roy,

Please help me out with this.
I am not sure I understand the concept of tying a small hackle on a peice of 8X tippet, and then tying the tippet to the hook. I would think that would be more difficult and time intensive than just wrapping the hackle around the hook (catskill style) or around a para-post.

Are there other advantges of using the tippet wrap, or is it simply functioning as a strike indicator.

Conehead,

It is just as hard as putting on a catskill style collar hackle. tho' if the hackle is built on a length of fine monofilament it becomes a parasol type hackle. It is much easier than trying to tie small flies in Klinkhamer style.

Tying in the nylon, then complete the fly and pull home the hackle - all the way home that is - lets you finish the fly without the hackle getting in the way of the whip finish. That is the advantage as I see it. Also it lets you get everything just right before you complete the fly, instead of trying to tie in the hackle at the end.

It is not really a substitute for a catskill dry, but it is the easiest way I know to tie a size #32 parachute.

I very much prefer parachutes to collar hackles in the small sizes as the hackle is kept out of the way of the hook point, thus better hooking - at least in theory.

that's my pennyworth, yours may be better or different.

Joe Hard, gallows tools really do get in the way, though they are good for beginners who have a problem handling materials.

I made one then learned how it worked then threw it away, as it is much faster to tie without one..

I sometimes make one for a beginner, then watch him get better at tying, soon he throws that one away too.

I made one for a friend recently, the guy is a really good tyer.. he used it once, said it was great then carried straight on without it.

All the best

Roy

Roy,

I get it now, tie the tippet to the hook pul the tippet to place the hackle over top of the hook, tie off.

I might just give it a try. Usually I do not have a lot of trouble hackling small flies, but i have noticed that every year it becomes a little more difficult.

thanks for the tip.

conehead

PS If you think hackling a #32 is hard, try putting a conehead on that hook.....