Fly Tying
mrgramps

Emerger Patterns for Spinney Reservoir

My Son-in-Law and I went to the spillway at Spinney reservoir here in Colorado and other anglers were fishing emerger patterns and doing quite well. 

My supply of emergers didn't seem to do well for me there as they have years ago at other waters in Colorado, I know my angling education is lacking

about the newest patterns and techniques of emerger fishing especially for Spinney reservoir.

I need help with learning about the newer patterns of emergers and the latest ways to fish them as well as well as to what newer materials are used.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on newer patterns, types of hooks used and whatever else.

Thank you all for your help.

@mrgramps, I thought so from your post. The reason I'm asking which is because the bug life is different in the res than on the river. The river I know, the res not so much. If you want river 411 let me know.

Hello flytire.

Thank you for the information on patterns for emergers. 

rs2's are my favorite years ago and so easily adapted to your local waters. 

I'm gathering info on patterns and the color plate link is ideal.

Many thanks for your help.

Hello Sandan.

I've been tying for about 50 years and a lot has changed in patterns and materials it's hard to keep up.

I'm not strictly old school but I'm always open for new patterns. 

I'm unable to use a fly rod for long periods of time due medical reasons but I make the best of it.

Any insight on the best patterns to use on this area would be great. 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:21 PM, mrgramps said:

Hello Sandan.

I've been tying for about 50 years and a lot has changed in patterns and materials it's hard to keep up.

I'm not strictly old school but I'm always open for new patterns. 

I'm unable to use a fly rod for long periods of time due medical reasons but I make the best of it.

Any insight on the best patterns to use on this area would be great. 

These are recommendos for the DS. As mentioned an RS2 is just about always good. Vary the winging. CDC, glamour madeira work. Small (20-22-24) BWO's tied parachute. PMDs when they are coming off 18's the life cycle. Charlie Craven's Mole Fly is a great emerger as well as his soft hackle emerger. For caddis I find a size 16 or 18 Missing Link is a killer pattern too.  Matt's and Morgan's midges for dries. Pat Dorsey's Top Secret midge is a great pattern.  Don't leave home without some Barr's emergers and when the hoppers are out Charlie Craven's Charile Boy hopper and the smaller. Rene Harrop's CDC Biot dun and CEC floating nymph in appropriate colors. I'm a huge fan of both Harrop's Last Chance Cripple and Bob Quigley's Cripple and hackle stackers for what ever mayfly is hatching. Juan Ramirez' Slim Shady and sniper baetis'.   For high traffic areas I try to use flies that aren't in every shop's bin. 

Good evening Timijin.

Thank you for the video on the Greg's emerger pattern. 

I have been collecting patterns and will be tying some as soon as as

I finish a woodworking project. I'm looking forward to trying the new patterns

on the waters in my area.

Thanks again.

Good evening Sandan.

Thank you for the list of patterns. I'm very familiar with the RS2.

I've used the pattern years ago and find it very customizable.

I don't think that I'll go lower then a size 18 due to my eyes not being as strong as they were once

before. Your suggestions are appreciated.

I forgot to mention earlier that I did go back to Spinney and I used for the first time

a  1/2 " Thingamabobber and I love the jam feature. I used it with some of my ancient emergers

and once the proper depth was determined for my fly the action started.