Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LigonierA1

another DanVise question

So I recently purchased a Danvise. Aesthetically it's pretty much what I expect, but thus far it seems to perform very very well, at least relative to the worn out Thompson that I replaced.

This vise came with a long arm with a 90 degree bend. I believe it's to lay the thread and bobbin over to keep them out of your way during certain steps? It seems awkward and always in the way to me.

What do you do with this arm and what might be considered proper positioning of it?

I"m wondering if anyone has seens Al Beaty's Rotarty Vice techniques DVD? I'd be I'd find the answers to my questions in that DVD as well alot of other helpful stuff.......

That is the "bobbin rest" and is used when using the rotary feature of the vise. Basically you put you bobbin on that arm when winding on material and then when your ready to use your thread again you just swing the arm out of the way.

Ah, I think I see it now.......so that allows the thread to wind up a bit(or unwind depending on how you turn the rotating feature) vs the thread wrapping around the hook shank itself like happens when you rotate without the arm.

Thanks for the explanation.

i made some neat hooks to hang my hipboots on with the two from my danvices, they're hanging on the garage wall all bent out of shape, Bud

You can also use the arm for tying upright wing posts. (Klinks) After a time you'll get used to it. I just keep it turned out of the way until I need it.

I haven't seen the AL Beaty Tying video yet, but I'm planning on picking one up when I get some extra change.

Get the video, available on tape and dvd, from Al. I had the vice for 4 years and used it well but finally ordered the video and it has really made a difference in my tying. Worth a lot more than the price charged. headbang.gif

Hi LigonierA1,

By now you have figured out the tool is the bobbin rest. I keep mine on the vise adjusted so I can place the bobbin on it, then loosen the screw/nut at the vise stem slightly, and swing it at a 45 degree angle toward the back of the vise. When you need it bring it forward into "working position" and when you don't swing it back.

Let me give you a couple of tips regarding the bobbin rest. First the manufacturer installs them on the vise so when you raise the bobbin rest you are loosening the screw allowing the rest to fall under the weight of the bobbin (I think that is up-side-down). Just turn the whole unit over so you tighten the screw rather the loosening it when it is swung UP into postion.

Second tip: Most people use their bobbin rest by pulling the thread out so it is long enough to lay it over the rest with the bobbin hanging down on the other(right assuming a right handed tier) side. Then when you want to return to regular tying you have to "hand turn" the spool to take up the slack thread. I have another way of doing it! Adjust the bobbin rest so it is LOWER than the hook in the vise. Do not pull the thread out so it lays over the rest; instead lay the bobbin on the rest so it is at about a 45 degree angle - thread/spool to the right of the rest and the bobbin barrel near the hook eye AND in line with the hook shank. You have to "fiddle" with the adjustment until things line up but it is time well spent instead of "messing around cranking the thread back on to the bobbin." Now when you want to return to regular "hand tying" just grab the bobbin, flip the bobbin rest out of the way, and continue on your fly tying journey. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al et all, thank you kindly for the feedback.

Al, I seem to be having an issue with your website. I keep trying to order the DVD of Rotary Techniques but it want's a sign in of some sort? Might be user error, I haven't tried in a day or two, I'll try again and see what's shakin' now.....

Hi LigonierA1,

Yes, I'm having a bit of trouble with it. My toll free is 888-243-3597.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks for the Bobbin Rest tip Al!

I am one of the people you mention who has been hand-winding thread back onto the bobbin....

Cheers!

Gary

The way I use it is to align it straight of the end off the end of the hook.

when I want to use rotary i throw a half hitch of tying thrread onto the hook then extend the bobbin over the bobbin rest. By doing it this way the thread does not wind around the hook or unwind from the hook. As far as having to wind up the bobbin again just adjust the bobbin rest not too far from the end of the hook and you won't have that problem.

Another tip. That little spring is for holding material back over the vice body. It doesn't belong on the bobbin rest. Wrap it without stretching it around the vice body where the hole in the arm is and just link it to itself. Then when you have material hanging on the back of the hook shaft just clip it into the spring and it won't get in your way when your using the rotary function. yahoo.gif

That's the tip I was missing....the half hitch. I picked it up when watching Al's video on Rotary Tying Techniques. It seems so obvious now but that's the way it goes sometimes dunno.gif ....