Fly Tying
JoeFish

need to fill a caddis box

for my trip to colorado next month, i want to fill out my fly box. caddis were bringing me alot of luck lately, and i want to get a good range of patterns.(emergers and pupae too)

I have: elk hair caddis in olive, brown, black, tan, pearl

partridge caddis like Mike Lawson's in olive body

tent wing caddis

green rock worm nymphs

what emerger patterns are good? what other dries do i need?

thanks,

Joe

how about some elk hair skaters? size 14-18 they imitate caddis that have been crippled or have become waterlogged and no longer can take off from the surface of the water--these work great during a hatch or when the fish are pickey. The fly pulls itslef across the surface of the water as the line pulls taught in the current--it has always worked well for me. I don't know if there is a pattern in the database if not let me know and I will post one.

On the surface, I've never felt I needed much more than an EHC. On the bottom, Lafontaine's caddis, simple beadhead larvae, Mercer's Z-wing caddis are all great.

On the emergers - Interestingly, being a streamer guy, I've always done well with small Hornbergs during heavy caddis activity. Don't leave home without 'em. cool.gif

I have a lot of luck with the CDC and Elk, pattern name but actually tied with deer hair. Know a few people out in Colorado who are fans of it.

bead head caddis pupa, mikystm sedges, small stimulators, even try a caddis type royal wulf. good luck hope you nail em.

Hi Joe, I always carry some trailing shuck caddis patterns. Don't forget LaFontaines

Sparkle Caddis Pupa.

Have Fun

Jay

A few soft hackle caddis are always good. Use some hungarian partridge or hen back if you want them to sink a little. Use the feathers on the front of duck wings if you want to help them stay a little higher in the water column.

Don't forget about a few caddis cripples as well.

~Chip

thanks guys!

i think ive got caddis covered now, Im really excited for this trip! Im leaving june 11 and coming back the 19th.

Joe

I'm posting this a little late but I would have to also say that LaFontaines emergent sparkle pupa is a must. It seems to perform anywhere that I've tried it.

I also like an iris caddis, I match the wing color with the body and fish it down deep. My favorite color is a light gray with a dark brown thorax and an amber tail. The correct amber is the hardest color to find material for.

Addict