Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RexW

The Policeman

"The Policeman"

A Francis pattern from Frodin's book.  Or an attempt, anyway. 

I subbed synthetic dubbing for pig's wool.  I have some pig's wool, but it was difficult to work with.  Anyone have any tips for tying with it?

First attempt at a peacock herl wing and I'm not happy with it.  Anyone have any tips for herl wings?  I used strung herl and I suspect that it was not a good choice of material quality.

I welcome tips and suggestions as I continue learning to tie these flies.  Seems like each pattern has a new technique to learn.  :)

thumbnail_IMG_1835.jpg

4 hours ago, RexW said:

"The Policeman"

Pigs' wool is miserable from my experience not sure if it is a quality issue or it is all like that. Maybe herl from the eye will

behave when wetted out then dried on a form like golden pheasant never tried it. Never tied this pattern will give it a go after the new year, we can both learn. What hook is that I like it. 

21 hours ago, RexW said:

"The Policeman"

First attempt at a peacock herl wing and I'm not happy with it.  Anyone have any tips for herl wings?  I used strung herl and I suspect that it was not a good choice of material quality.

I welcome tips and suggestions as I continue learning to tie these flies.  Seems like each pattern has a new technique to learn.  :)

regarding the peacock herl topping

i would use the strands off of a peacock eye feather rather than broken tips of strung herl. align the tips prior to tying on

natural-peacock-feathers-eye-packaged-B458-12--N-ALT4_2.jpg

I picked up a couple of eye feathers today.  I think you're right, some of the smaller herl near the tip may look better.  They have a natural curve and they bend easier than what I used.  Should be able to make another attempt this weekend.  Thanks for the help.