Fly Tying
fishes4em

strike indicators

The ones that twist are a bit of a pain sometimes, I've lost a few myself. I tend to lean towards the ones that use a toothpick to hold them on the line now, very solid and wont come off, plus easy to adjust the depth.

SD

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jun 3 2005, 12:48 PM)

One of the best books that discusses this is Dave Hugh's book "Nymph Fishing" I'd suggest anyone that hasent read it pick up a copy, it's a very informative nymph fishing book.
SD

You're right Steve, that is an excellent book.

People can fish however they want, but the fact that someone uses indicators shouldn't mean that they're any less of an angler than someone else. Spring creeks and small mountain brooks are excellent examples of situations where indicators might be counterproductive.

Generally speaking, I've always adhered to the addage "Show me an angler who's not using indicators, and I'll show you an angler who's missing fish."

You said it, Mark... I fish with indicators in some waters where I would bet the farm I or anyone else would miss strikes without one. I only use white indicators in the belief or superstition that colored ones will spook fish. dunno.gif

JMHO...

Arkie I'm the same way, I always believe that the white ones blend in with the buuble/foam that may be on the water and blend in with the sky/clouds when viewd from a fish's perspective, so I always go with white as well. least it sounds plausable to me.

SD, It might be like some of those fancy flies I've seen... they are there to catch the fisherman.... not necessarily the fish..... hysterical.gif

TIP: If there is lots of foam / bubbles, put on two indicators close together - about half inch to an inch apart... much easier to distiguish from the foam... wink.gif

I fish fair size water, indicator almost mandatory. The only time I don't use one is in very clear water where I can see the fish, and force feed the fly into its mouth.

Usually use homemade yarn in mixed colors.

I use strike indicators and find that I catch more fish with them than without them.

The only exception is when I am in a small stream (10 feet wide or less and shallow). Here using a high stick method with just the leader hanging out of the rod and kept taught. I usually have the trout hook themselves. They hook themselves faster than I could respond to the indicator.

The other night I was fishing in a larger stream with some depth to it. I made about 40 drifts without the indicator, and was only able to determine about 5 hits from trout (one of which I hooked, played and lost)

I put the indicator with the tooth pick on (same fly) adjusted the depth every 2-3 drifts until I started getting strikes. I could detect strikes every other cast, and sometimes twice a drift. I hooked and landed more fish.

I think it all depends on the situation as to the use of an indicator.

GOOD STORY: I was using a florescent orange indicator with a tooth pick. I had a 7 inch Brook trout rise and hit the indicator. The tooth pick lodged in its mouth like a stick in the mouth of an alligator. I was able to pull him in and had to stretch his mouth open even more to remove the indicator. I was fishing right in front of a picnic table where all the old fisherman hang out. When the saw it, they roared, and would not let me forget it after that. I still have the image in my mind of that trout with his mouth stretched as far as possible.

Conehead

I use stike indicators a lot and find it is more effective than watching your line in many situations. I especially like using them in slow water for salmon especially reds. The problem with just watching your line is you can't regulate depth and when salmon are finnicky they will only hit a fly thats drifting at their level. I try to use the indicator to keep the fly at one level. You will have to adjust it from hole to hole but if it helps catch more fish it shouldn't bother you.