Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Hardy built SA reel

I usually know most reels value pretty well, but this one I'm not sure. I have a buddy that came into a number of reels and older vintage fly fishing gear and I told him I would help him sell it all. One thing he has is an older SA system 9 Hardy made/England reel with spare spool and case. I've seen these listed online for as much a $265, but not sure what the actual real world value would be? Anyone have any idea on this?

I used to have a few of those early SA reels that we used in saltwaters (not the best idea - but they were what was available..  back in the mid-seventies when I took up fly fishing in the salt).  I wouldn't value them very highly (and have no idea of their current worth).  Here's what I would suggest though... Those reels were actually Hardy Marquis reels - re-branded for Scientific Anglers.  You might find a similar size Marquis and use that as a guide for pricing.. I'd expect the SA branded reels would not hold the same value as the Hardy ones, though...  Hope this helps

Looking at what's current and realistic and recent sales current on the big auction site, anywhere from $50-150 depending on condition.  

Thanks guys. At first I told him the reels he had were $20-$30 range because the others are vintage Cortland and such so not a ton of value, but then when he dropped them off here so I could see them in person I saw the SA was Hardy made so knew it had to be more than I first thought, but figured the $265 price on some of them online was way out of line most likely. So this gives me a better idea then.

He has a number of things I'll be cleaning up and listing for sale for him soon here. Was going through some of it last night and was crazy to see some prices on stuff. He has some new in pack leaders that had .25 cent price tags still on them 😲 Obviously they are now junk since the mono is so old, but it's neat to see how cheap they use to be compared to the price these days.