Fly Tying
flyfish2002

Spiral Wrapping

I am trying to tie a helgrammite pattern and am having problems with the technique. The recipe calls for a black hen saddle feather and a strand of medium olive chenelle to be tied-in at the bend. Feather is tied in by the tip, concave side up. OK so far. biggrin.gif

Next, I am to pull the feather back over onto the top of the hook shank, which forces the convex or "good" side up. Then I am to "spiral wrap" the thread around/through the feather barbs, tying off about 3/5 up the hook. The objective is to secure the stem on top of the shank, but not compress or smash any barbs. No can do. huh.gif

Further, next I am to wrap the chenelle forward, once again around/through the feather barbs, and secure the chenelle at the point I secured the feather. As before, the objective is to wrap the chenelle arround the shank, but not compress or smash any barbs. No can do. huh.gif

If done correctly, you have the back end (abdomen) of a helgrammite with the barbs protruding downward from the chenille imitating the many small legs of the helgrammite. Well, needless to say, mine looks like one contiuous wrap of chenelle. help.gif

I have thought of a few work arounds, such as tying in a piece of Thinskin and small ribbing before I tie in the feather and chenelle. I could then wrap the chenelle first, palmer the feather, trim the barbs on top of the shank and then secure the Thinskin with the ribbing to give some segmentation.

Short of this or some other work around, am I missing some technique re: spiral wrapping? I might just go to an easier Helgrammite pattern.

Thanks.

What about alternating the wraps -- (hackle, then chenille, then hackle again, being careful not to bind down much hackle) or spinning the two materials together and wrapping at once for a similar effect? Just some thoughts.

Adams

I would just wrap the chanille and palmer the hackle, I don't think the fish will mind.You could also try the featured fly at the top of the page, Murray's Helgrammite. It is designed to wiggle in the water like a real Helgrammite. It is also much Simpler to tie.

Hi flyfish2002,

First you need to stroke the feather's fibers out making them stick out at an angle near 90 degrees. Tie the feather on the back of the hook (by the tip) then tie on the chenille as well, store the chenille temporarily in a materials keeper spring. Now pull the feather up straight and wrap the bobbin forward a couple of turns. Bring the feather back to the hook shank and use the right hand to stroke/separate the fibers directly above the bobbin. Use the left hand to make a turn (or two if you wish) of thread. Pull the feather back up and place a couple of thread turns around the hook shank. Again stroke/separate the fibers and bind the feather to the hook shank. Keep repeating this process until the feather is bound to the top of the complete hook shank.

Many fly tiers find doing this next step easier with the bobbin removed from the hook so I recommend whip-finishing and removing it temporarily form the hook. Remove the chenille from the materials keeper and hold it in the right hand - never let go of it. Place a bodkin in your left hand. Let's assume you tied the chenille to the bottom of the hook shank. Bring the chenille toward you stopping just before mashing the hackle barbs and use the bodkin to separate the hackle fibers so the chenille can pass between them. Wrap a half turn so the right hand is on the off side of the hook and ready to mash the hackle fibers. Again use the bodkin to separate the fibers so the chenille can pass between them. Repeat the process until you reach the front of the hook. Attach a hackle pliers to the chenille to keep it from unwrapping while tying the thread back on the hook. Tie off and finish the fly. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks for the replies, particularly to Al for explaining a new technique. I plan to give it a try and see if I can master it.

By the way - I am not a bait fisherman (nothing against them). How can I remove the phrase under my username? I just can't seem to find the right location under My Controls.

Just to conclude the thread, I use Al's recommended techniques. They worked very well with a little patience and practice - relatively easy to tackle if you have some basic fly tying skills.

Thanks again to all who posted.

I see you got the problem figured out. I saw a thread somewhere showing a wollybugger tied by twisting the chenneille, and the feather together then wrapping as one. I tried it and it had a great look, it was easy and durable