Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
5wt

OC Maryland

Been going to OC Maryland for the "annual migration" as I refer to it, for quite a few years fishing for flounder and croaker and such in the bay while the wife and kids are at the beach. And also get out every year or so for some Tuna. But I've never fly fished down there. Does anyone know if it's worth fly fishing in the bay? I don't care if it's for spots, little stripers or sea trout, just have the itch to take the 8 wt along this year and give it a try. I've never fly fished the salty. What types of streamers and such should I have with me?

Thanks

I also go to OCM every year. As far as fishing spots you might want to look atOyster Bay Tackle at Oysterbaytackle.com They have a lot of info and a page of fishing spots. You might even want to e-mail Sue Foster and see what she has to say. They aren't geared toward Fly Fishing but I'm sure she could tell you the different baits to imitate and some good spots. I would use flies that imitate mullet , squid, or minnows in general. Hope this helps.

P.S. Why not try the surf? I am when I get down there in September.

Thanks,

I'll give that a try. I tied up some clouser's in different color combos and maybe visit one of the shops while I'm there. The surf might be a little tough with the "long" pole.

I fish further down the Bay around Mobjack bay. I have had luck with shrimp patterns for Croaker and Speakled Trout. Stripers and Sharks like clousers tied in red/white and blue/white. After my last trip and trapping minnows to be able to see what the fish are feeding on I think some steamers that are nearly all white with a tiny bit of yellow about 2-4 in long would be killer.

I've taken my kayak out of a small beach park on the western side, just south of rt 50 bridge. The locals call this place "Stinky Beach". Yellow and white Clouser's and Bruce's Crab Colored Clouser ars good patterns. In early may decent sized bluefish come back there gpoing after the shad. Good Luck! :P