Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

My Review Of J Stockard Fly Fishing

About a week and a half ago I ordered a DanVise and a Terra Tool Set from J. Stockard's.

I got the package this past Tuesday, but have not gotten around to posting a review.

Well, here it is. This is pretty much the same email that I sent to J Stockard as well.

Everything was packaged very nicely and secure. I opened the package and everything was as ordered. I started with the fly box that recieved as a gift for being a member of FTF. I really like this box alot. It's sturdy and functional. I like the way the company name and phone number was put on it. Now if someone ask I can give them number since it will be handy. I carry all of the new flies I have been tying in it. This way I can show people my new hobby.

Next I opened the tools. They were very nicely put together. I unwrapped them all and placed them back in the leather case. I really like all of the tools except for the scissors. They act like a cheap old worn out pair of scissors and not as sharp as I think they should be. In fact on some of the edge, it almost folds the feathers instead of cutting through them. I haven't used these for cutting anything but thread, feathers and fur. I don't want a refund, replacement or anything in compensation. I can live with it, but wanted to let them know that there might be a problem with the scissors.

The Danvise was the highlight of the package. This thing is great. I wasn't too thrilled about having only a video for instructions, but I can live with it. I figured at least a list of replacement parts on paper would have been included. There was not a scratch resistant pad included as it showed in the video, but I can rig something up if ever needed. The Vise is great though. I have tied over 30 flies with it and appreciate it more each time I use it. Very nice product. Very functional and nice design. Works great!

I appreciate J. Stockard having such a good business. They have given me a huge push into a hobby that will surely become one of my favorites.

I sent the email and I got a nice reply from James.

He told me that he would send me another pair of scissors to reaplace the other ones. I declined and told him it was not nessecary. Just the offer of replacing them shows that he will take care of his customers. He also told me that he would check into written instructions for the DanVise.

Very nice place to do business with and I have no doubt that he will take care of his customers. For the most part the products I recieved were great.

Thanks to J Stockard for having such a great business and for sponsering this site.

you are going to enjoy that dan vise and sleep at night because your kids can still go to college!

Go to college!Heck man with the money you saved think of all the feathers and stuff you can get!!!!!!!Put really you have not gone wrong with that vice.You will enjoy it.

tt

i placed my order last night. Looking forward to it. I ordered a few things that I have not tried before so I am excited.

john

Which Terra Tool Set did you order? I can't seem to find one on their website, other than the 7-piece set in leather case, without vise.

The Teera tool set is the 7 piece in the leather case. I ordered the tool set and the vise on the same order, but they were not sold as a unit.

I shopped with J. Stockard prior to joing this board. It is a first class organization in all ways: selection, pricing, advice and service. No, I don't work for them, I just appreciate a solid small business.

Hi, Guys - First, thanks for the compliments. Coming from this group, they mean a great deal to us. We really want to serve our customers well, and it sounds like you've picked up on that.

Second, a request. We are certainly not perfect - try as we will - and we do make mistakes from time to time (hopefully rarely). Since there may be young people reading this, let's just say, "Stuff happens." But fly tyers are generally a patient, understanding bunch; we appreciate that they/you will give us another chance when we mess up. So the request is, when there's a problem despite our best efforts, PLEASE tell us about it and let us make things right for you. We understand that customers shouldn't have to pay for a store's mistakes. That's all - nothing too complicated.

Thanks for your support, in the moral sense and business-wise. And drop me a line when you think of something you want and can't find - like a set of Terra tools without a leather case! (I'll put that on my "To Do" list.)

I got my order yesterday. That is pretty good turn around. And they have everything I ordered in stock. Very happy with the service. Don't forget that they also have rod building supplies. I bought some of the graphite arbors to go into reel seats. To date I have only used tape arbors, so this should be interested.

john