Fly Tying

I tie whips in both ends of my fly line...haven't had a problem yet.

You need a bobbin and when you load the bobbin with thread (I use 6/0 since I believe the thinner thread penetrates better and you get more wraps for the same bulk) make sure you have the thread wrap around one of the bobbin legs to add friction.

Then its simply a matter of whipping the bobbin around a doubled flyline make sure you leave the coating on. It will take a bit to get the feel down and to learn how much thread you can have outside the bobbin without whacking yourself in the face. The centrifical force will bind the thread into the coating, when you have the loop you want merely whip finish to keep the thread from unravelling, and coat it with some glue - I use pliobond.

I just loop over the tip of the line and nail knot it with 20lb test mono. Then trim smooth.

No problems yet after 2yrs

Wow, didn't realize how much time and money i was wasting. Guess I must have missed something along the way. Guess it's just a matter of personal prefrence.

Fish

Airhead question-so is this just a way to always have a loop to loop connection on the end of your fly line? Seems like a good idea, right now I have a perfection knot tied in the end of my fly lines but this seems like a better way to do it, am I right?

I prefer a loop-to-loop for backing to fly line and fly line to leader connections, mainly because they slide easily through the guides. This is a plus when you are targeting fish that scream into your backing. Also, when using a long leader, a knot will sometimes bind on the tip eye and prevent you from reaching a fish when you are trying to land it. This can be frustrating, especially in rough water like the surf.

Those braided chinese handcuff style loop connectors seem like a great idea, but every one I have ever used has failed, usually during the cast. Perhaps I am not installing them correctly. I've been told a drop of superglue on only the butt end of the braid will secure it. Finally gave up on them and went back to the whipped loop as described above. Takes a few minutes to rig, but if you do it right it stays put.

Casey

I just tube/nail knot 20lb Amnesia to the end of my fly line, and tie a perfection loop. It has never failed me. BTW -- the nail knot is only a whip knot. If you know how to whip the ends of a rope, you know how to make a nail knot. Perfect every time if first tied on a small straw. Tie a whip on the straw, and then slip the straw over the fly line. Gently pull out the straw, and tighten.

OLB

The perfection loop is HUGE compared to any of these methods...so you have less worry if you are using a long leader and need to reel or strip a fish in so much that you line passes inside your tip, if that perfection loop catches as a large fish goes to make a run you could end up having a bad day.

I loop both ends of my flyline with a whip, and I tie a large bimini twist loop in my backing, that way if I want to change lines I can put my fly line on a spool and pass the whole spool through the loop - easy.

Hey. I like that Bimini twist idea. I love that knot, and it is the strongest loop out there. I could see whipping Bimini's for both ends of the fly line.