Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Making a Dubbing Brush??

I thought I read somewhere that you could make a brush out of velcro for furring out dubbing.

Anyone want to show me how to make one?

I am making some sowbugs and wanted to make them nice looking.

holy sh@# cjcall is your avitar what I think it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how did you ever train a chip monk to do that!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im gona laugh that one up all night!!!!!!

Yea he has really started to bug me. Waking me up at all hours of the night. I have to keep my stuff locked up in the gun safe. ohmy.gif

swamphunter,

one of the Fly Tier back issues I have shows how you can tease dubbing using a small bore gun cleaning brush. (I.E. .22cal brass brush)

This may be another option for you?

Tom

If you're going the velcro route, look for the smaller hook sized velcro. Most velcro and velcro knockoffs come in at least two sizes--fine/course, large/small or whatever. Usually the packages aren't marked as such, but you'll want the rough part to have small fine hooks.

Another option for the dentists in the crowd are used/new root canal tools.

I attached a piece of Velcro to the end of a Popsicle stick for about 2 inches. It can get in the bend of a small hook. A mascara brush (like a gun brush but softer) also works OK if you can get one at the $1 store.

Like suggested earlier, a bore brush works pretty good. I use the one out of my cleaning kit and it seems to do the trick. You might need something a little narrower for the smaller stuff but the bore brush works for me down to about a #16.

~Harris