Fly Tying
ScienceGuy141

Finding Joe Brooks Documentary

I think so - absolutely... I might be a bit prejudiced though since one of his fishing partners - all those years ago down here in south Florida when he popularized bonefishing with the fly.. was Harry Friedman - and I was lucky enough to meet him and learn a bit from him towards the end of his life when I was just beginning to tie a fly or two.  My very first bonefish on fly - back in 1976 was one he showed me how to tie... Harry was a founding member of the old Miami Beach Rod and Reel Club (no longer in existence) and his proudest catch was a 72 pound tarpon on 12lb tippet...  I wasn't impressed until I learned that all those years ago, early fifties, they thought using a bite tippet (standard practice for years now...) was "un-sporting"... I can't imagine how many tarpon Harry had to jump before being able to land a big one with only a 12lb tippet.  For those who've never tangled with tarpon - their jaws are as abrasive as 40 grit sandpaper....   As a point of comparison - my standard fly leader for big tarpon will have a 20lb tippet - with an 80lb fluorocarbon bite tippet at the bitter end - where it counts.. 

If you're ever able to get a look at the books by Joe that were about bonefish, tarpon and other saltwater species - you'll see Harry's picture in many of them - all those years ago - just after the big war when fly anglers were looking toward the coasts - if they could, where folks were first trying to fish the salt with fly rods... Me, I only came here in 1971 (almost directly from Vietnam - but that's another story entirely...).