Fly Tying
Gene L

Cheap hooks

Speaking of inexpensive hooks, does anyone know what is going on at Wholesale Fly? I looked on their site and retirement sale was over on July 22. Now shows same prices on everything, with most things in stock. Wondered if Bob sold out to someone or decided not to retire.

That’s what I thought too. But it said sale ends July 22, and then most of the out of stock items no longer show they’re out. I hope someone bought Bob out.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:20 AM, Gene L said:

How cheap?  Try well, 3.5 cents a hook.  Barbless.  I got four packs of 100 each for $3.52, size 12 and 14.  Plus $4.40 shipping.  If you only buy 100, the price is $3.90, but me and my fishing buddy ordered 400 hooks in different styles and the price goes down and...the shipping is the same.  They seem sharp enough and don't bend any more readily than a Mustad.  i checked the bend in a vise.  I'm pretty sure they're Chinese, from Maxcatch.  I have one of their vises for a travel vise and it's a good one.  

Good to know Gene, which vise did you buy from them if you don't mind my asking?

I bought their "rotary" vise,  but not a true rotary vise..  I paid aabout $45 for it and it's a good traveling or starting vise.  Weighs 10 ounces.  It will hold a wide range of hooks.  It's well worth the price.  I've used it three times on a Sip and Tie event.  Holds from size 22 to 4/0.  I'm a fanboy of Maxcatch.  My friend bought 2 flylines for about $8 each and after treating them with lubricant 303, he's high on it.  The line is 100 ft. long.

I see the prices going up eventually, but right now it's affordable and nice.  There will be people who scoff at the idea of $45 vise and $8 lines, but there it is.