Fly Tying
Reichbaum

Skinny Yellow Sally

A lot of people fish the Yellow Sally as an imitation of the adult stage Isoperla stonefly, but I fish it more often as attractor pattern, even when the Isoperla is nowhere in sight (which for me, is almost never).  They key that I've found to make this version so successful is to use a verrrry thin dubbing noodle, so you allow the red to show through the body, especially when it's wet. I call this a skinny version because I also tie the wing very sparsely. 

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpMCStTleEk

Full pattern here: https://theflyindex.com/yellow-sally-test/

Hook: Fulling Mill FM 5055

Thread: 6/0 Uni — Red

Body: Kapok Dry Fly Dubbing — Fluorescent Yellow

Wing: Deer Hair — Bleached

Hackle: Grizzly

Nice simple pattern, thanks for posting.

In the streams I usually fish, I see the occasional small yellow stone flying or crawling about, but I seldom get a response to a dry pattern. Small yellow nymphs do much, much better for me.  It makes me suspect that stone nymphs are much more prevalent in those waters than the observed  adults would indicate, or that yellow is just a 'trigger' color in those waters. 

I'll tie a few of these, I like the red tag and underbody. 

Exactly! And another reason (maybe staying the obvious) the nymphs are more productive for you, is that they live longer underwater and in greater numbers. The adults only hatch for a few weeks in most streams. 

But you're right about the red and yellow colors acting as a trigger! Id love to see the flies you tie up!

Nice tie and very good video (quality and presentation) I wish you well with your fly index I still keep my patterns and formulas in a paper notebook form, maybe one of these days I'll get ambitious.