Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Trio of travel rods

22 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

9' 5wt 7pc travel rods

Nice Steve.  

I have two older fiberglass pack rods, one Wright McGill (or maybe Eagle Claw, can't remember) and one Wonderod.  Both 5 pieces, I think.  Have not had them out for years, but I remember them being pretty wispy.  I wonder how # of sections would affect the casting vs the same blank in 3 piece configuration.  Just thinking out loud.   

Use to you would have very obvious signs in the feel/action of a blank that it was a multi piece blank. Then about 15 or so years ago it started getting a lot better. Now today the way ferrule technology is these days the number of sections no longer has any effect on the action or feel of a rod. Older multi piece rods use to have a bit different feel where you would have noticeable flat spots on each of the ferule joints. But these days even a 7pc blank has the same feel as a 2 or 4pc blank.

Thanks Steve, makes sense.  They're probably alot faster than the old ones I have, which may have something to do with it too. 

The ones I have I think are from the 70's, maybe late 60's.  If I remember correctly they are both butt over tip metal ferrules, which probably has alot to due with affecting their action.  The Wright/McGill or Eagle Claw has very short ferrules, which I assumed they used to lessen the effect of the ferrules on the rod action, maybe not.  I think they even had a trade name for those short ferrules, which I can't recall at the moment.  I'm going to have to get them out and take a look see.    

Oh yeah, the old metal ferules were pretty brutal on the action of a rod. I have an old Silflex glass rod that is 3pc 8' and it has the metal ferules on it. I learned to fly fish on that rod back in the late 80's. It's crazy to see how far rods have came when comparing to the old ones of back in the day. It's still nice to take the old one out and use it every once in a while though that's for sure.