Fly Tying
Troutslayer101

1st Guided Trip

As the title states this is my fist guided trip.  My wife and I will be going to the White River in Cotter AR.  How do you handle the tip?  If they do a good job do you just do 20% of the cost of the trip for that day?  I take it things come into play for example if he puts you on some really good fish then the percentage of the tip goes up.  I just don't want to come across cheap and I know they put in a lot of work to put you on good fish.   Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Troutslayer101 said:

As the title states this is my fist guided trip.  My wife and I will be going to the White River in Cotter AR.  How do you handle the tip?  If they do a good job do you just do 20% of the cost of the trip for that day?  I take it things come into play for example if he puts you on some really good fish then the percentage of the tip goes up.  I just don't want to come across cheap and I know they put in a lot of work to put you on good fish.   Thanks!

You are on the right track. You don't owe him anything but, those things are customary. I start at fifteen and I adjust from there. Sometimes, I go way up from there. Sometimes it is necessary to go down.

Have a great time.

I generally throw in a couple of 20s for the trip and like Mark this can go up if the person gives an all around good day. I don't necessarily base on fish caught since having been a guide up north and having run a charter boat I know it's not always rain fish on you but a person trying hard and staying positive and comfortable to be with makes a big part of how the trip goes. If it is a free lance guide he pays for gas, insurance, and on all day trips usually your meal and the fees for the trip usually barely keep food on his table. Maybe that's why so many of those guides are single guys.

Thanks for guys!  By what you guys are suggesting that I was kind of on point with what I was thinking.  Just didn't want to be that guy and wanted to make sure I was being fair to our guide.  Hopefully it will be a good two days.