Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Heff2

Wanted to try

I’ve been lurking this thread for some time, I recently expanded my collection and decided to give it a go.  Started out trying a Pop ham but realized mid way this was hubris and some of my feathers had a heavy reverse curve I didn’t have the skill to content with.   Decided to switch to a Durham Ranger mid way but I’ll likely tuck it away to keep as a future comparative.  

It’s heavy with subs and the proportions are clunky but I wanted to see if I enjoyed tying this style of fly. It’s definitely a new set of skills and it’s going to be fun learning more.  I’ve got some Macaw on the way for horns on the next one.  welcome feedback on this, I went to my local fly shop and asked them if they had any blind hooks. They had never heard of them so I think it may get entertaining to even source the materials. Ahh the joys of chasing the fly tying dragon.  IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.29f72415f8ef97fc893249d20e3b96cc.jpeg

As a long time tyer of classic salmon flies, I'll offer a few suggestions.

First - Be patient. Learning to tie these flies is a marathon, not a sprint.

Second - You obviously have the necessary skills to tie these flies, so all you need are the hooks and materials.

Now, DO NOT worry about using subs. The real thing is way above the pay grade of virtually all of us and nobody I know who ties these flies looks down their nose at the use of subs.

When deciding on a pattern, Google it and look at the various styles of the finished flies and use those images as a guide in your mind's eye for what you want to achieve in the vise.

Assuming you have a copy machine, take the time to make photo copies of a few hooks and then use those correct/accurate size images and a pen or pencil to draw the basic configuration of what you're looking for. Believe me that helps a great deal when starting out.

When it comes to hooks, try not to go too large. Stick with nothing larger 2/0 or 3/0 for now. That being said, somewhat smaller sizes will help you learn proportion and thread control.

I could go on for pages, but if your interest is genuine then go for it. I truly enjoy tying these flies and I wish you well.

Materials - I'd suggest John McLain at www.feathersmc.com

Anything else you wish to know...don't hesitate to ask.

george

where is a good place to buy blind eye hooks and what size would be good for a beginner (me) to start tying these flies

I dont want to spend $14 per hook

Norm

6 hours ago, SalarMan said:

As a long time tyer of classic salmon flies, I'll offer a few suggestions.

First - Be patient. Learning to tie these flies is a marathon, not a sprint.

Second - You obviously have the necessary skills to tie these flies, so all you need are the hooks and materials.

Now, DO NOT worry about using subs. The real thing is way above the pay grade of virtually all of us and nobody I know who ties these flies looks down their nose at the use of subs.

When deciding on a pattern, Google it and look at the various styles of the finished flies and use those images as a guide in your mind's eye for what you want to achieve in the vise.

Assuming you have a copy machine, take the time to make photo copies of a few hooks and then use those correct/accurate size images and a pen or pencil to draw the basic configuration of what you're looking for. Believe me that helps a great deal when starting out.

When it comes to hooks, try not to go too large. Stick with nothing larger 2/0 or 3/0 for now. That being said, somewhat smaller sizes will help you learn proportion and thread control.

I could go on for pages, but if your interest is genuine then go for it. I truly enjoy tying these flies and I wish you well.

Materials - I'd suggest John McLain at www.feathersmc.com

Anything else you wish to know...don't hesitate to ask.

I really appreciate the feedback.  I quite like the idea of using a copier to create layouts before starting.  I can see this being a huge aid in prepping materials for tying.  I have a pretty good supply of 1/0 and 2/0 salmon hooks I’ll practice more on these before moving to proper hooks. Like Norm, if you have suggestions on sourcing the irons for these I would appreciate it.  I’m in Canada and I haven’t found anyone who stocks the blind eye hooks.  

I was already enjoying flytying as an artistic endeavour and the fully dressed flies only further this.  The point on patience is a very good one, it’s not my strong suit typically but I can tell that slowing down is going to be the difference between good and great with these.   

Again, thank you very much George.  The level of experience and graciousness of sharing the wisdom on the forum has really helped me in my fly tying journey. 

Norm & Heff2 -

The only sources I currently know for blind eye hooks are as follows...   John McLain at feathersmc.com     stoneriveroutfitters.com   and    detteflies.com

I am a long time friend of McLain and can't say enough good about him, but Stone River has a great selection of Gaelic Supreme hooks.

As far as size recommendation for starting out...anything from 1/0 to 3/0 in either the Pryce-Tannatt model of the Harrison-Bartleet model.

Finally...if either one of you wish to PM me your address I'll be happy to send you a few hooks and the needed gut for the eyes. Heaven knows I have enough to spare.

George

1 hour ago, flytire said:

dette seems to be sold out

stone ridge would be a 2 + hour drive

feathersmc has them

I was not aware of the situation with Dette and their blind eye hook status.
Feathersmc always has them and my friend Gordeaux told me the other day he is working on another batch of hooks for McLain.
As I said earlier, Stone River has the widest selection with their supply of Gaelic Supreme hooks.

Good luck and the hook offer from me still stands.

ive got some 1/0 hooks on order from stone ridge

i'm not out to make this type of tying a career just want to try and see it i can tie these

ive got the cork collection downloaded to my external hard drive for some patterns

davie mcphail has a good video on twisting up gut for the hook eye

Norm,

I'm not familiar wit "stone ridge".  Good luck with your tying adventure in the world of classic salmon flies!!

George

20 hours ago, flytire said:

ive got some 1/0 hooks on order from stone ridge

i'm not out to make this type of tying a career just want to try and see it i can tie these

ive got the cork collection downloaded to my external hard drive for some patterns

davie mcphail has a good video on twisting up gut for the hook eye

Tried to send you a PM. Won't go through.