Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Big Daddy's Poppers

Well the always modest Big Daddy Hubbard sent me some of the poppers he has been tying up recently and I took some pics for him but he hasn't posted them on the forum so I'm gonna do it for him devil.gif

He's put alot of time into perfecting his popper technique and for anyone who hasn't hand done a poppper....it's more your than you can imagine. Anyway here are a few pics

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

WOW i like poppers, if you don't mind a few ? what are the bodies made of is that foam and epoxy? i like those and i bet maine smallies would love them.

ernie headbang.gif

Beautiful,I like the scale effect on the bottom two.Hows it done?

Ernie-judging by the green one I would say balsa wood.

Ashley

the bodies are balsa...not my best work, but preety good...the process is coming along nicely...i had another batch that actually looked better, but a fella bought them from me, so Will got these....they're okay, give me a little time and they will be much better

Yea, I completely agree Chris, those look HORRIBLE! I would hope you could tie some better than that! Gosh man, I thought you were a good tier! LOL! j_k.gif You know they`re great! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Beautiful work Big Daddy, how long does it take to put those poppers together and how much trial and error should someone expect starting out?

exactly what I had in mind when I started tying them, Billy....Can't wait to hit that creek with a few black and purple poppers just about sundown......

Ashley, the scale effect is created by glueing metal foil (very thin chrome sheeting in this case) to the blank body. I hand painted the stripe down the back, then coat the whole thing in epoxy.

Trial and error? Yea....quiet a bit if you want perfect body lines and prportions. BUT...the great thing about popers is that it doesn't have to be perfect to get the desired plop or chugging action that you want. If I am tying for a customer, i am maticulous about the styling, dressing, and symmetry or the whole fly. If it's for me, I just am for getting it close...fish don't seem to mind either way. A lot more work than using preformed foam, but I like the "from scratch" feel of poppers like these. For anyone that may be interested in tying poppers and popper styles....research our topocs in the bench. Mark Delany, Jim Hester, and myself engaged in a very lenghty, very informative discussion on how to and stylings of poppers.

PS...thanks for the nice comments, fellas....

BDH, those look great! Man, you're real good at that!

I really like the color combinations too! Awesome job! thumbup.gif