Fly Tying
phluffhead

Hello from Long Island, NY

Relatively new to fly fishing, and tying, but I've become absolutely addicted. I went to the Fly Fishing show in Edison, NJ, the other week and was absolutely blown away by the magnitude of it...I also learned I should've set a budget on fly tying materials lol. Really looking forward to learning as much as I can here!

Welcome phluffhead!  Glad you liked the show.  Be careful, you can get carried away buying stuff.  If you’re just starting out in fly tying, just buy what you need for each pattern as you learn it.

Phluffhead welcome to the addiction, sounds like there is little hope of starting slowly. Materials are to be considered a rabbit hole all of their own, be careful or get a big closet! Hope you enjoy the trip and looking forward to your contribution to the forum.

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 14 years.  Your handle sounds a bit familiar to me.  Check out the swaps on this site if you'd like.  There are some mighty fine swap hosts (then there's me).  Swaps a re a great way to better your tying skills.

I look forward to, seeing your posts here on this site!

Kim

On 2/6/2024 at 8:30 PM, gadabout said:

Welcome phluffhead!  Glad you liked the show.  Be careful, you can get carried away buying stuff.  If you’re just starting out in fly tying, just buy what you need for each pattern as you learn it.

Thanks! Yeah I can imagine, I couldn't believe the sheer amount and variety of material...people digging through crates of hackle looking each one over, etc. That's my plan, and substituting some material when and where applicable...so far its gone ok haha my dining room table is a mess of feathers, fur, thread, and flash currently. I'm also from Long Island

On 2/7/2024 at 7:41 AM, cphubert said:

Phluffhead welcome to the addiction, sounds like there is little hope of starting slowly. Materials are to be considered a rabbit hole all of their own, be careful or get a big closet! Hope you enjoy the trip and looking forward to your contribution to the forum.

Thank you! Yeah I would say so hahah. I saw at the Edison show what a rabbit hole it really is. If anything that only makes me even more interested. Thank you, looking forward to learning and eventually contributing!

On 2/7/2024 at 9:55 PM, WWKimba said:

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 14 years.  Your handle sounds a bit familiar to me.  Check out the swaps on this site if you'd like.  There are some mighty fine swap hosts (then there's me).  Swaps a re a great way to better your tying skills.

I look forward to, seeing your posts here on this site!

Kim

Thank you! Yes I've recently joined NAFFF as well, we spoke about the current swap there. I'm looking forward to taking part in some swaps here as well!