Fly Tying

With me being new to fly tying, I went with what I'm familiar with. I purchased a small amount of Daiichi hooks and some from Mustad when they had their 30% off President's Day sale. I purchased some hooks for poppers and for some clouser minnows.

A few things to be aware of in general:

1. Thin wire hook with a wide hook gap will tend to bend out when presented with a heavy load.  The hook will either bend or break, it’s just physics.

2. In general, lower cost hooks may not have the tensile strength of higher cost hooks.  The manufacturing steps to increase tensile strength cost more, which is often reflected in the price.

3. You can optimize your value by matching the hook quality with the game fish you are chasing.  If you think you might hook a 26”trout while fishing. Size 22 midge, tie that midge on a $0.30 Tiemco hook. If you are chasing blue gill, maybe using a $0.10 acme hook is more appropriate.

I totally concur!  Where I live (Colorado Front Range) most flies are small, typically 18-24.  I learned many years ago that strong high quality small hooks landed more big fish.  Of course if I'm tying size 6 crane fly larva, the hook choice is not as critical.     

Regards,