Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Aw

My largest Peacock Bass so far...

Hi Folks,

Greetings yet another round from Singapore.

Yesterday was defined as a Publc Holiday in our calendar & it started off with a wet, rainy morning. Many anglers here including me had no choice but to keep in check at home until the later part of the morning.

It was a wasted opportunity to fish the saltwater as the water will gets alittle colder for the fish to bite unusally. Therefore, I proceeded to the freshwater side to have a cople of casts.

I started off with my bigger flies - Pink things & Whistlers etc. Not even a single bite by the peacock after 2 hours of casting. Well, as i don't have much time to fish further, I change to some size 10 tiny charlies ... at the least I still can hook some Mayan or so without getting empty handed. :bs:

IPB Image

After a couple of cast, this 4 pounder took me by surprise when she gobbled my tiny fly. :D

At the end of the trip, I still have some good fun yanking this fat one.

To date, Likely this is the biggest Peacock Bass that I have landed so far.

IPB Image

IPB Image

:P :P :P

WOW Nice work jimmy!!!! I did not know that the pecock were in the far east How long ago were they stocked there?

WOW Nice work jimmy!!!! I did not know that the pecock were in the far east How long ago were they stocked there?

The peacock were introduced to Singapore approx. 5 ago in our reservoirs. Until now, I have yet to cook one for dinner.

Jussi, likely I will just reserve these beautiful fishes for the camera & let them go. :P

That is AWESOME :headbang:

I hope to take a trip and get into some one of these days...

When you do come here, give me a message. I will bring U around to fish for these peacocks then. :D

NICE Peacock! Those things are FUN to fish for!

South Florida (around Fort Lauderdale) has some great Peacock Bass Fishing. It's not quite the Amazon, but it's FUN nontheless. They're Smallmouth with Roid Rage, I tell ya. They've got a SUPER-Short fuse, strong as a Freight Train, and stubborn as a Mule. Peacocks will NOT paralyze when lipped, just a forewarning.

What's so great down there is that you can catch fish ALL day. Canals, Ponds, whatever. Most of 'em have both Peacocks and Largemouths. Fish mornings and evenings for Largemouth (any pond or canal can have an 8 pound largemouth down there), and the Peacocks hit best midday. They're territorial as HELL, so all you've gotta do is sight fish, keep casting, and really make 'em mad.

If you're lucky, you just might get a shot at a 40 pound Tarpon on bass Tackle. I had a 30ish pounder hit a sluggo down there this past August. Choked on the hookset, though. :(