Fly Tying
HFT

I Can't see the Fly

I went out yesterday,overcast,snowy,white bubbles on the water. I could only see my fly 1 of 6 casts. Fly sizes were 18-20. My question to you guys is What materials for wings and hackes do you find the most visible? :wallbash: I had ten hits that I did not see the take.

I went out yesterday,overcast,snowy,white bubbles on the water. I could only see my fly 1 of 6 casts. Fly sizes were 18-20. My question to you guys is What materials for wings and hackes do you find the most visible? :wallbash: I had ten hits that I did not see the take.

I've found it really depends on the water conditions. In most cases white is usually a safe bet (particularly in "oily" or tea stained water), but it sounds as though that this is the exact opposite of what you want here. In white water situations I've found that fl. red posts on parachute flies show up very well, but I would be leary about using red (or even chartreuse or the like) for hackle/wings on traditional catskill ties. Maybe a better solution is to use a strike indicator about 4' or more above the fly. I personally hate using them, but it sounds like it might be a necessary evil under these conditions.

Just a tweak on what skunkaroo suggested. Try using the same pattern only in a few sizes bigger as a strike indicator about 18-24" up the line. Now that I'm getting into my mid 30's I'm starting to have some of the same problem and that seems to help me find my tiny fly on the water.

Thanks guys!

This is a clear water situation and white is almost impossable to see because of bubbles and foam. I still lost size 14 flys in the light conditions.

Both suggestions above are very good. I tend to tie a few patterns with fluorescent posts (since the fish really doesn't see the post). I used to use the bigger fly as an indicator idea, but even a fly a few sizes bigger as an indicator gets lost by my eyes sometimes.

And Steve, welcome to the mid thirties. :wheelchair: :D Expect more decline in other areas soon. ;)

And Steve, welcome to the mid thirties. :wheelchair: :D Expect more decline in other areas soon. ;)

I'm fightin' it kicking and screaming the whole way Mark :hyst: ...I'll turn 34 next month (officially no longer "early" 30's) and I'm tryin to put the brakes on but it just aint working :lol: :wallbash:

Oh if only I could be back in my mid thirtys again. :crying: I know exactly what I would do. ...and it would rock a few boats to say the least. :whistle: TOO LATE NOW!! :wheelchair: :wallbash:

I use Float-Vis by SAAP for all my posting and wing augments. It is similar in consistency to Orvis Parapost, but it traps and reflects light very well. The other benefit is that they make it in a few dozen colors, so I can use a number of colors depending on the pattern to either match or contrast it.

On all of my trout flies I like to use turkey flats for the wings. I tie them in a post instead of dividing the wings. I was lucky enough to find some turkey flats in florescent orange, pink and yellow. Makes great easy to see flies in all conditions.