Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Linesides

Hair Hackle Tying

One year ago I got a book by Gordon Mackenie called Hair Hackle Tying. I tried when I got it for Christmas and failed miserably, BUt I saved the book and realized today that I have a lot of hair from SW flies and it is what the book calls for.

Question: He states that after creating the dubbing loop (Turbo twister) The bottle brush look is created (I have that look). Then he says to double the loop before winding it on the hook. What does he mean and how does he get the bottle brush look all to one side of the dubbing loop?

By the way I created the hackle I am trying using icelandic wool.

Thanks,

Dave

The first time I tried making a hair hackle it worked perfect. I never even gave it much thought on how or why it worked. I have never been able to make another one YET. I havent tried in a while but would love to master this technique. I have some info buried away and will dig it out and maybe with the help of others here we can bowth walk away smilling

By "doubling" the hair hackle he means exactly the same thing as "doubling" or "folding" a feather so all the fibers face in a single direction such as done to prepare a collar hackle on a wet fly or traditional steelhead fly.

Regards,

Hi Dave,

Last year I had the good fortune to have a booth at a show in Oregon next to Gordon. Over the several days we spent next to each other we developed a friendship (trading books, stories, life experiences, etc.) and I got to watch him create his magic with hair. halcyon nailed it in his message to you. Once Gordon has made the "brush" he squirms, folds, twists, and pinches the hair brush to get the hair pointing in one direction. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks to all for the feedback and guidance.I was halfway there.To the bootlebrush part, I'll attempt to tie some up and post a picture.

Gray Squirrel

I haven't tried the doubling routine prior to wrapping the hackle, I just continually stroke to the rear with each wrap - I will have to try ‘doubling’ it. Watching one of the advanced tiers here in Toronto I was shown the trick (for any spiky material in a dubbing loop) of 'twanging' the thread after the material in the loop is twisted and couple or 4 times. After 'twanging/plucking' the loop all the fibres stick straight out due to the vibration.

I just tied up half a dozen Hairys took me the better part of 2 hours but I did it. I discovered from the thread here to take my index and middle finger and groom the hairs back. After a few passes they stay there (most of them).

Gordon was at this year's Sowbug Roundup last March in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I was a tyer there also, but Gordon McKenzie was the featured tyer therre for the show. I spent a good while just watching him tie and learning....I haven't ried hair hackling yet, but I plan to. After Hurricane Rita I bbarely hasve time to sleep...things have gotten so busy at college that I barely ahve time to do anything. I just got finished writing a test and a summary of notes for my classes to put online. Haven't touched my tying stuff since September unfortunately. Can't wait for a break to do a little tying. Unfortunately, because of the new schdule we are only getting Thursday off for Thanksgiving...but I'm looking forward to that one day off.

Still here, but busier than I need to be,

Mark Delaney