Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

Stainless hooks

What do ya' your salt water patterns on - plated or stainless?

What are your favorite brands/ model numbers?

Do ya' know of any suppliers offering any "deals" on stainless hooks, ie. Mustad 34007 / 34011's?

I tie my saltwater patterns on stainless hooks. Usually I use Tiemco 811S or 800S. If I want a circle hook I use the Daiichi 3847. No line on deals though...wish I did...

Stainless for most of my hooks, sometimes I want to tie something real small so I tie on normal freshwater hooks. These are flys that I know when I get home I will be throwing out because the salt air alone with cause them to rust.

Cabela's also has the Billy Pate hooks made by Eagle Claw, which are very well priced. These hooks are very strong, and I use them for "beater" flies like spring stripers and year round bluefish patterns.

Just want to second Dble Haul's comment

The Billy Pate Eagle Claw hooks are what I tie the majority of my flies on...you can get a box of 100 for like 6 bucks. They are not stainless steel per se and they will rust if you don't rinse them after using them...most of my flies never make it back to the box they either get ripped up by fish or become jetty ornaments.

I also really like the Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Octopus hook...I've only found them at Walmart. They are not a fly hook but an offset bait hook. I bend them straight and use them for my big flies which require a large gape.

I do not believe in heirloom quality flies...

As I primarily fish salt and brackish waters and as many of my patterns are somewhat time consuming ties, i.e. woven, crabs, spoons &/or other epoxies, I tend to go with Mustad stainless on the primary patterns and with Eagle Claw plated on more “sacrificial” flies.

I tie a lot with 34011 (2, 4, & 6’s) and 34007's (2 - 6’s). I also use a lot of 8's, and I can tell ya' that locating 8's in stainless can be somewhat problematic.

Anyway, as my stocks are running low and I need to weave up some more shrimp, so I need to restock and would love to locate a “deal”.

Check J.Stockard, or Cabellas. English Angling Trappins, Anglers Workshop, Bass Pro Shop. You might even want to check out Stripers Online. I have been tying up a few flies on Daiichi hooks and realy like them but they are expensive. I like the sound of the Billy Pate hooks, and have been a fan of Eagle Claw for years. Thanks for posting this

I have some hooks I could send your way for the price of shipping them and a few of your patterns.

Mustad 30411 size 4 St.Steel 100 count

34011 size 2 St.Steel 100 count

30411 size 4 St.Steel 100 count

9674B size 2 Viking 100 count These are plated hooks

34011 size 6 St.Steel 100 count

92608 size 6 St.Steel 100 count

92608 size 4 St.Steel 100 count

92608 size 2 St.Steel looks like about 50 hooks in box

A 100 count box of VMC size 6 Salmon hooks"Tyee"Soft ring Bright. No model number on the cardboard box.

These look to be old hooks from the boxing but hooks look new and look kinda like a big egg hook with a large eye.

Eagle Claw (Style 77Cat )1/0 plated hook Kirby 100 count.

Not sure what these hooks are for but may be you can use them.

Mustad 79666 size 4 Keel hook 100 count. no finnish on these.

79666 size 6 Keel hook size 6 100 count.

Let me know what you might need.

Brent

Did the hooks make it there? I sent them in 2 packages.

It would be like Christmas twice if they came on different days :lol:

Keep up the good work! :headbang:

Brent