Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
polock

marrying wings????

i was on the coldwater forum checkin out all the classic wets and i saw the term marrying wings. I thought all the multicolored wings on those beautiful flies were done with markers. where can i find some info on how to learn how to do this

polock :help:

I know this wont help you now, but there is an excellent description on the process of "marrying quill wings" in the "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" book by Leeson and Schollmeyer.

Its kinda hard to describe without you actually watching the process.

Its bassically taking 1 or 2 segments from a duck wing quill, lets say yellow in color and interlocking the fibers of another segment of duck wing quill of say red color to make one segment. Does that make sense?

Example

IPB Image

You can see in the image that TroutBum married 2-3 segments of black onto the orange and 2-3 segments of white onto the balck to make 1 wing segment.

Married wings can be done with Duck, Goose, Swan, Turkey etc etc etc.

Maybe someone with better descriptive skills will chime in.

Marrying feathers is very simple. All feather barb edges have little hooks and loops just like velcro. Match up the edges and they will adhere to each other. Feathers from different birds will marry with each other, some better than others. The best feathers to work with are Bustard, Swan, Goose, Duck, Peacock, Argus and Turkey. The hardest to manage are Golden and Amherst Pheasant tail fibers.

Not that I am that good at it, nor am I nitpicking, but the one basic thing to remember is that you have to marry left sides to left sides and right sides to right sides. Left to right will not work and will drive you nuts trying to do it.

Kyle

I know this wont help you now, but there is an excellent description on the process of "marrying quill wings" in the "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" book by Leeson and Schollmeyer.

Its kinda hard to describe without you actually watching the process.

Its bassically taking 1 or 2 segments from a duck wing quill, lets say yellow in color and interlocking the fibers of another segment of duck wing quill of say red color to make one segment. Does that make sense?

Example

IPB Image

You can see in the image that TroutBum married 2-3 segments of black onto the orange and 2-3 segments of white onto the balck to make 1 wing segment.

Married wings can be done with Duck, Goose, Swan, Turkey etc etc etc.

Maybe someone with better descriptive skills will chime in.

i gotta master this, that isn't fly tying that is just pure artwork there, i would feel bad fishing with them lol i would want to put them on the wall:) i need a video on this i guess lol

polok,

Don Bastian has a video out on tying wet flies like the Trout Fin in the pic. You can get it on Amazon for $29.95

These flies are made for fishing, and I have every intention of fishing with them this year.

Well all I can say to help is everything that has been posted and a great help is to hold the fibers firmly and stroke them in place and together to enable the hooks on each fiber to interlock, as you do this also slightly bend and curve them at the same time. Wow I just read that ....does it make sense? :huh:

As with a lot of fly dressing techniques I think that practice makes perfect.

The Brit has spoken.... :P

TroutBum,

Now that you have admitted in public that you will fish these flies, They will lookm good in my boat or on the Brim ponds at Callaway Gardens in June.

All good advice and i will see if it will help me. I think that marrying wings is much harder:baby: than spinning Deer hair or weaving hair hackles. :D :D

I will trade you a lesson.

Irish

:blink:

Irish,

I'll be tying these at the demo sessions, just sit next to me and we'll tie some up for those Brim. You still owe me a spinning lesson. BTW, I have some very fine Irish malt for our Brim expedition. :)

Will you help me with my other job during that weekend??? :D :D :blink:

i will try to do the lessons.

Irish dave

Helen Shaw's book "Flies for fish and Fisherman" has a really good chapter on marrying wings also.

British Mike where you from in Vermont?? I'm near Montpelier.

Fatman