Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyguy13

tying with foam

I am completely addicted to tying with foam. I am been tying basic gurler patterns and some chernoble ants. if any one has good pattern please share I need a fix.

thank you

mike

Mike,

Don't know if this question applies to only "warmwater species." If not, I tie a series of emerger patterns with foam. Here's two midge pupae and a midge emerger. Oliver Edwards, from England, ties a great emerging dun pattern with foam. If interested, I can really get into it. There's also a guy in Toledo, OH who is the master of foam. When I find his site, I'll send it along. He ties all kinds of (extra-)terrestrials.

Tight Wraps,

Kevin

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you're interested in tying with foam, I recommend looking into Skip Morris' books on the subject. You could also probably just google his name and get some results.

Good luck.

I also have tied a lot (relatively) with foam. What fish are you targeting? My personal favorite with foam is weaving strips together. Also, damsels are a great foam fly. Have also seen some interesting nymphs (dragon, hare's ear, etc), with a bright foam strip on the back like a wing case to make it suspend in the water column and be more visible.

Any more specifics of what are you looking for?

I'll see if I can get a picture of a damsel and some other stuff on here.

Deeky

Foam is quick and it works. I use foam for cicadas, hoppers, beetles and for the wing on my mother's day caddis pattern. I still haven't tied (ie glued) a club (foam) sandwich but I will some day!

Here are some of my favorites. The first is a damsel. Have seen these literally with the wings fished off and the fish still hit them. A good producer.

post-3964-1137778841_thumb.jpg

The second is a larger dragon fly with a woven foam body. Not my finest example, but it's what I've got. The bass will hit this fly, but usually they already have to be hitting real dragon flies to be in the mood.

post-3964-1137779151_thumb.jpg

The third one is an STP frog. Good bass pattern. Officially, the foam is cut using purchased cutting dies, but you could cut basically oval shaped pieces with a tie in tail by hand. In the recipe, the top and bottom pieces are the same size, but I make the bottom one a size smaller. This way, you still have the lighter belly color, but the larger top piece provides a ring of darker color for contrast against the sky. Not sure it helps the fish see it better, but it sounds good.

post-3964-1137779411_thumb.jpg

thanks for the patterns guys. i should be busy for a while anyway. Hey deeky what size do you tie those dagon flies on. they look simple to tie and very effective.

Flyguy

The blue damsel is tied on a size 10 dry fly hook. Use the normal method of wrapping on a bodkin. The diameter of the body is determined by the tension in your thread wraps.

The dragon fly is actually tied on a bigger size 2 streamer hook. But it could be tied on 2, 4, 6, whatever to fit the size you want the fish to see. Again it's started on a bodkin. Tie the two strips down for the length of the body, then weave the strips back from the tail to the tie in point, slide off the bodkin, attatch to shank, and finish weave. This one took me a little longer to figure out, but it's not bad.