Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ephemerella

NorthEast shows seem worse than last years?

I've been to a few shows this year in the northeast and they seem to have fewer vendors than in previous years.

I went to Jim Krul's little show in Danbury in November, which had the opportunity to take a 1 fly lesson with pros for $5 (!!) (compare that to a 1/2 day lesson for $75 or so.. a deal). There were about 15 vendor's if that.

I went to the Danbury show (also by flyfishingUniversity). Not as many vendors as in years past for fly tying supplies.

Yesterday I went to the Marlboro show. Empty. Many fly tying material endors of years past were not there. I'd heard the business is having some real shakeouts. A few that were NOT there this year, but had been in the past. Phil Castleman's CastleArms - a great source of really exotic stuff - feathers, pelts, JC, Japanese silk floss...E. Hille of PA. English Angling Trappings (now someone else)-which was formerly owned by Jim Krul (accoring to the 2003? EAT catalog he had a falling out w/ Barry Serviente who runs the Marlboro show, but the following year seemed all was well...), Eldridge Bros of York, ME.... , Charlie Collins and his awesome hackle, others among the missing.

On the positive side, I had signed up for streamer tying class w/ Mike Martinek at the Danbury show, but he was unable to teach (health problem). I ran into Mike at his tyer's table in Marlboro yesterday, and he's feeling better. He spent about 45 minutes with me walking through the tying steps and showing me the details of tying a Rangely streamer (the Rangely Special). Thanks Mike, if you read this!

Anyway, are you forum readers noticing the same? Any ideas why? I like to go to the shows for materials, see the stuff, compare, talk with the vendors.

Looks like many of the vendors we know and like had to pick and choose shows for whatever reason and it seems that they picked Somerset. Probably expecting the most bang for their booth buck. If you want to buy things try Sunday afternoon at Somerset during show wind up time...I used to with a little bank roll and make a killing on sporting art and other things I could subsequently resell or trade.

Hot Tuna

The shop owners I have spoken with are saying it is very expensive to attend the FF shows in N.E.

Leave Thurs and stay 3 nights in a hotel, usually 2-3 employees, with meals and gas for the trip.

The shows are charging more for the display space every year.

You must sell a huge amount of fly tying product to just break even and make your expenses.

Even the guest fly tyers are not attending the shows like in past years. At Marlboro and Somerset they must pay for a table and the hotel, meals, gas out of their own pocket. The shows in Danbury do not charge the tyers for a table however, they do not make enough income selling a few flies to pay for the weekend.

I enjoy the tyers, their lectures and tying demos, it makes the trip worth the expense. The fly tying materials are not very interesting, every dealer has basicly the same products.

Regards,

FK

Last year i was out of town during Sumerset, and opted for the show in College Park, MD (put on by the same folks). It was embarrasing. The majority of the show seemed to be outfitters trying to book trips. A few of the vendors told me it was their last time there and they would focus their efforts at Somerset. Like Hot Tuna says, everyone want more bang for their buck.

Going to Summerset this year and hoping for the best.

I myself hold training seminars (6 a year in the north east) and conventions and retreats (hosting about 4,000 people a year w/8-10 events). Although not fishing my related numbers have been down this last year for me as well as with those in my field (religious and non-profits). I think it could have been gas prices (doubled for most families) and less trust in the economy (poeple saving for the essentials).

My 2 cents

Conehead

I have never been to a fly fishing show until this year at Somerset. I was dissapointed. Granted I went on Sun afternoon and I didnt take advantage of the theatre shows. I assumed there would be many more vendors selling materials. There definately wasnt a good variety of materials around. Prices were pretty steep too. Will not go again.

It would seem you guys on the East Coast are experiencing the same dilemma we're having on the Left Coast.

I've attended the FF Show in Bellevue, WA for the past four years and have noticed a decline in attendance. This may be due to the shows organizers trotting out the same old guide services, same demonstrators and tyers, and the same manufacturers reps schlepping out the same old products.

About the only thing that has changed is the price of admittance (and parking) and the exhibitors display and booth fees. Many of the 'little guys' who were the core of the show in years past simply can't afford it anymore.

I guess that's one of the niceties of a smaller show like the Arkansas Sow Bug Roundup. They have folks standing in line for tables. I will be there this year representing a local conservation club and we had put out enough money for two tables. Because of more vendors wanting to come to the show we were downsized to only one table. This show is definitely "user friendly" as the admission fee is a whopping $5 for the entire weekend.

Mike

Any word on vendors, tyers, and seminars at the Wilmington MA Fly Fishing expo in March? While that has varied in size over the years, it seems pretty well focused. Anyone going to that one?

Heres the one in Wilmington, Mass

http://www.sportshows.com/Wilmington/wilmmain.htm

I personally like the Danbury show in January. Less crowded than the others. I went to the Marlboro show and asked myself Why? Same old stuff, different year. They may have good deals but its fun to see all the people surrounding Cotes flea market fly shop year after year.

The Somerset show is too far to drive from Connecticut and is also too crowded. You have to fight and push people all day long just to see what a vendor has for sale. No thanks I'll buy from the internet.

I also like the Wilmington show. Kinda cool seeing all those old guys wearing fez hats. Looks like Morrocco!

I'll most likely be at the Wilmington show. I don't know, I kind of liked the Marlboro show. Then again, that was the first show I've ever been to. I thought it was well organized, but I thought it was a pain in the arse to have to switch buildings(not in walking distance for my father, bad leg), and parking was kinda tight, but not too bad if you were willing to walk(not in the cards, see previous aside). Pretty interesting though, good information. A lot of outftters trying to sell trips which was of new interest, except looking at the pictures inthe pamphlets(no way I'm going anywhere outside of the Northeast in driving range, I'm a high schol student saving for college). I liked all the seminars, Jack Smola gave a pretty good general talk. So yeah, hopeflly I'll make it out to the wilmington show, and hopefully I fall into some money, otherwise walking amongst the vendors is going to be so painful :P . I'll post a thread to see who's attending when it gets closer to the date.

cheers,

Mr. Jingles