Fly Tying

OK guys...this one really excites me! :headbang:

I saw this Enrico Puglisi pattern at the local shop last week and did something I rarely do...bought one! I can see the biggest bass of the season hammering this pattern out at the Powerlands or at Woodbury Wildlife Area. The problem with most streamers is that they look great from the side...when the fish comes around to hit it from the front or top the profile suddenly disappears. That is not the case with this fly thanks to a foam 'skeleton' under the fibers!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have gone through better than half a dozen attempts at this fly over the last week and think I finally have a passable version of it. Still have some work to do...i.e. evening out the eyes nd maybe a larger size eye, but this baby will fish :headbang:

Good Day,

Nice! I really do love EP Fibers. They really help in the creation of great profiles and proportions... and the tier helps to.. hehe.

Steelie

Thanks guys. After I posted this last night I tied a much larger 7-8" version to go after toothy critters. Hopefully I will b able to put it to the test in northern Michigan the first weekend in March... B)

Definitely slick! :P You need to tie up a couple of those in a golden-yellow over white carp color for our March Muskie Madness. I think you've got the keys to the kingdom with that one :yahoo:

Joe C

Any chance for some pics of the foam skeleton?

Most of the bulky flies tied with EP fibers I've seen were created by spinning the fibers as though they were wool and then brushing and trimming - I'd love to learn this new technique.

Sure thing. I will make a note and try to do some step by step shots tonight.

The foam is actually three tear drop shaped pieces and then a bit of glue between each to hold the rig together and the hair down.

OK...here are the shots as promised. Evidently I forgot to take a pic of the third tear drop being tied int...but you get the point. The trick I found is a drop of gue between each piece to hold the hari in place and foam together, and then a drop in front of the third piece of foam to keep the hair in place on the front of the fly. This is the Carp Fry coloration.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's one of the cool things about Whitlock's Sheep Shad. From every angle the thing looks like a shad. Top, bottom, side, the thing just looks like a shad.

That looks killer too! I might have to get some foam and some EP fibers and tie up some Muskie flies for this spring! I've tried tying Whitlock's Sheep Shad in bigger sizes (>4") and they just don't look right. That looks awesome though!

Hell yeha! I bet in Shad (silver/grey over white) it would be killer for Striper below the locks there in Louisville...