Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
broadcj

Beginner Swap???

I know this may be stupid but are there any REALLY new people out there that have just started to learn how to tie? I would love to trade my crap for some of the other peoples crap. (Please don't take offense to that). If there is enough intrest I will try to get one together.

Thanks,

Jake

B) Not a bad idea Jake. Couple of things to remember, actually rules. In order to host a swap you have to have participated in three swaps. Not a problem. The folks on this forum have been more than inviting and I just started tying in November. I have been able to join several swaps and am currently hosting my first. The general attitude as far as I can tell is that everyone really enjoys helping others learn and these swaps are a great way to do just that. Check out the rules and follow a few threads on some of the current swaps. When you see one you like jump, some fill up quickly. Take the plunge!

Spanky

;)

Hey Jake,

Welcome to the forums! You can really do anytype of swap you can imagine with fly tying, but there are some rules that you may want to read. Its pinned below the heading "Fly Swaps & Contest". You can enter swaps but need a Swap Miester due to not having participating in 3 sucessfull swaps yet. Swaps are the best way to sharpen your skills and make great friends. Before you know it you will be attending "Swapers Anonymous" :hyst: :hyst: Once again welcome.

-Sam

Thanks for the tips! I skimmed over the rules yesterday and I usually forget everything so im guessing thats what happened. Well I'll start honing some skills on a fly and hopefully be able to join one of your swaps in the near future!

Thanks again,

Jake

Don't worry about honing your skills for the swaps......you should use the swaps to hone your skills for your personal use. Swaps really help because instead of tying one or two of a pattern then jumping to the next, you have to tie up a lot of the same pattern right in a row. Even with my 10 years experience, I still notice marked improvements from my first fly and my last fly in a specific swap. When you recieve your first set of swap flies, you will notice that there is a wide range of tying skill involved in every swap. Please do not hesitate to participate because you think you are not 'good enough'.....remember, fish like ugly bugs! No one here will ever give you a bad time on your work....you will only recieve positive criticism and encouragement! On behalf of everyone in the fly tying community, both on this site and across the world, I want to welcome you to an incredible hobby, art, and for some, a career. You have started down the path to a lifetime journey of discovery.....Congrats!

This is a great idea I have been thing for a while and im no pro by far but my flies do catch fish, so thats a good start. I cant wait to do my first swap, when does the next one start? it seems like they fill up quick!!.

here is another idea how about a swap open only to the first timers? I dont know if that could be done or not but i just thought i would put it out on the table.

Dustin.

You have to find a Swapmaster first...............

Maybe there's someone who's allowed (three succesfull swaps) to be the SM waill take over your idea.

I'm from the Netherlands so I think I shouldn't host one. Good luck!