Fly Tying
yooper

Need Advise (Obviously)

Had a roommate in college 25 years ago - he taught me to tie. decided to pick it up again. Nothing like having somebody right there to correct you when you do something wrong. The flies I've tied so far look like crap. Using "The Orvis guide to beginning fly tying" and "Consise Handbook of fly tying". Maybe I'm hopeless. Or perhaps I just need more practice. Any adive on other books, videos or flytying classes available in northern Michigan would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site.

Where abouts in Northern Michigan. There's a class about to happen soon in Grand Rapids and I know Schmidt's in Wellston run some classes.

Hey Welcome to the forum. Im just starting out too so I know what you mean. I have a kit from cabela's and the first thing I tried to tie was an elk hair caddis because I used them in Montana one year. I soon found out that if I kept trying to tie flies that advanced I would throw my kit in the garbage. So I quit trying the hard stuff and went to the first thing in the book, a red bead-head midge....I was suprised at how much it looked like the picture in the book after my first try. So if I can give any kind of advice being a beginner myself, its start with the simplest flies that need the least materials (bead-head midge, caddis emerger and marabou blood worms). And even try them on bigger hooks just to get accustomed to the pattern. That should get you back into the swing of things.

Hope this helps,

Jake

My favorite beginner "how-to" book:

Talleur's Basic Fly Tying. by Dick Talleur. ISBN 1-55821-519-0

It's out of print, but probably available on Amazon or at a book store. Spiral bound wiht a hard cover so you can put it next to your tying bench. Good step by step beginner's instructions. I started tying about 7 years ago one winter. I did one fly pattern a day on the weekends, tied about half dozen of each so I'd get the feel for it. I still look techniques up in it.

It starts with the Wooly Worm and goes from there to nymphs, streamers, through basic dries.

I will check it out . Thanks for the advise.

I started with the wooly worm also. That turn out ok. but everything after that (except the streamers) i.e. hare's ear nymph, adams, etc. look like a bunch of fuzz on a wire.

Welcome to the forum.

A book you may want to check out is the Fly Tiers Benchside Refrence, by Leeson and Schollmeyer.

Although, it really isnt a "beginers book" , it discusses, with lots of pictures, just about every technique needed to put anykind of fly together. If you have a question about any aspect of flytying, this book covers it. Pair it with a pattern book, and you will be ready for anything.

I believe it also comes on CD.

I work in Manistee. Live in Suttons Bay - where can I find out more information about the classes in Wellston?

I stopped at the Backcast Fly Shop (and pet store) in Beulah today. They have no classes and do not plan on hosting any.

I'm new to it also and couldn't agree more with the Fly Tiers Benchside Refrence and another good book is Fly Tying Made Clear And Simple by Skip Morris. But the first books i've had were the Orvis books like you, and just looked at pics and read over and over again till i had some idea.

Watch Al Betty's videos too here on the site, because that will surely get ya going and on the right path :headbang: They helped me out a lot!

Any of those books will help. IMHO a class or two would help a ton. I have been tying now for 12 years and have not had a class for 10 years. Last week I went to one class with my dad who is just starting to tie( as moral support) and the instructor pointed out a bunch of bad habits I had picked up over the years and fixed them right there. He also helped my Dad by pointing out some stuff that I had not seen him making mistakes on and took him to the next level. Not too much longer and my Dad will be teaching me stuff instead of the other way around.

My first recomadation would to take a class at a local shop. Second recomadation would be to get Gary Borgers begining fly tying video. It is easier to learn by watching someone in person or a video.

Carl

"The flies I've tied so far look like crap."

Welcome to the club--ALL of our first flies look like crap, so you're not that special in that regard!! :D Not only that, but each time you try a new style of fly, that's right--it will look like crap. I used the Orvis book, and tied 1 fly a day. After 2-3 months, the progress was evident (I wish I still had one to post for you, we'd all get a good chuckle, and the old-timers would drift into storys about thir first flies).

You've gotten some sound advice, so keep at it, find a local tying club like United Fly Tyers (call the closest fly fishing shop and ask about classes or groups that meet in the area). And of course don't forget to post pictures of your "crappy" flies, and ask for help--there's a lot of talent on the site, and they are always supportive of new tyers. Practice makes perfect! Hang on to those flies, and look at them in a month--you'll be amazed at the improvements.

Tight wraps...

--Flounder

I will check it out . Thanks for the advise.

I started with the wooly worm also. That turn out ok. but everything after that (except the streamers) i.e. hare's ear nymph, adams, etc. look like a bunch of fuzz on a wire.

I've been tying less than a year myself and a lot of my flies look like "a bunch of fuzz on a wire." I have found, though, that these bits of fuzz on a wire do seem to catch their share of fish. I found my interest in tying really picked up, and I got better because of it, when I caught my first fish on a fly I tied. Keep at it and stick around. There's a lot of helpful people around this forum, and, I think more than a few live close to you.

Good luck,

Terry

Here's my 3 cents worth...

I've been tying for almost 3 years and am self-taught. I don't want to sound preachy but don't look at your first attempts as failures. Some tips that helped me:

1.) Slow down

2.) Don't get frustrated if you don't have the "exact" materials called for in a pattern. Adapt!

3.) Ask questions and study a patterns instructions. If a person doesn't want to share information, there are 6 people who will. This forum is probably the best source you will ever come across.

4.) Slow down...

5.) Tye something everyday! Even if it's just the process of practicing with thread or spinning dubbing. If you tye something every day after one month you'll be surprised at your improvement.

6.) Did I mention, slow down?

7.) If you make tying flies a "contest" you'll have more failure than success. Tying flies is a journey...enjoy it!

Later. SullyTM