Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onshore

What Do You Use on Windy Days on The Coast

OK now. I fish 3-4 times per week from Late April into late November. Most of my fishing is afloat on a flat or inshore, casting for Stripers. Until last year, my goto fly for windy days was a sparsly tied Deceiver. Last year, I chucked a lot of Skok mushy-type flies made of angel hair, mega mushy stuf, etc. Where the biggest deceiver that I found comfortable to cast on windy days was probably a full 6 or 7 inches, the Skok type flies add and inch or two to that.

I want a big fly that can imitate a Pogy or Herring.

What do you use for big flies on days when the wind gusts up to 25 MPH ?

Pix shows some of my mushy flies.

post-508-1141650864_thumb.jpg

Hey Bill,

My favorite high wind large fly is something I saw Mark Sedotti tie at a show. Real simple.

Tail of tapered Flashabou, upper and lower wing of bucktail, cheeks of flashabou.

When wet the flashabou is very self cohesive so the fly offers almost no air resistance (the biggest impediment when casting into a wind) but in the water you get a baitfish profile that can easily be 10" or larger.

I'll see about posting a picture when I get home tonight...

And when we going fishing? I've been a few times to the Creek this winter but I'm getting real antsy.

I don't really know much about surf but wanted to compliment you on those nice bait patterns you have tied up. Very cool!!!!

-Sam

Onshore - Try some of the Kenny Abrams Flat Wing streamers. You'll find they cast nicely when its blowin' a gale. Tight lines, alec

Hi Bill,

Here is that pic

IPB Image

I don't know the name of the pattern so I just call it Sedotti's Flash fly...

Its just some bucktail and some Flashabou, when the flash gets wet it all clings together out of the water so it has very little for the wind to grab, in the water it looks much larger than it is.

Good Luck

Sean

My windy day technique has largely involved small flies, short casts, and, too often, a bit of ducking, but the Skok mushy-type flies and "Sedotti's flash fly" look like winners! Thanks.

Am impatiently awaiting the arrival of bait and stripers in the Kennebec here in Maine.

My first post -- will be back often.

--Bill