Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Furled Leaders

I've read a little lately about making furled leaders over knotted or tapered mono. Anyone make their own furled leaders? Reading directions online, it really doesn't seem that hard to do.

I think it will be one of those things like tying your own flies - you wouldn't have to make your own. You could buy them. And yet we tie our own flies for the adventure of it.

What do you think?

I use thread furrled leaders quite often. They are simply the best leader out there for turning over a dry fly softly B)

Making them isnt really hard, it just takes a little bit of sorting out the process to understand it. I use to make my own a few years ago but havent done it for the past couple years. I have been planning on making another jig for making them though and getting back into making my own this spring. Once I get the jig made again I plan on doing a step by step on the process for an upcoming issue of Hatches so keep an eye out for that.

I make my own and use them for most of my fishing.

I make them out of 4lb vanish for salt water, pike and bass - they turn over big flies, last for a very long time, and provide a lot of tippet protection.

I've been making and using them for about three years now. They are easy to make once you get the hang of it. Nothing lands a dry fly softer and I tie em up in flourescent orange and use em when nymphing in shallow water with a little mucillin on em they make a great strike indicator.

I have been making mine for about four years. Took about a day and a half to make the jig and about twenty minutes to make the first leader. Haven't hardly used anything else since. Use two lb. mono for the light lines and four lb. for the 5 wt and up lines. Made some with thread (even made some with two colors) but it's hard to keep them floating for dries. Work OK for wets and nymphs. :D

Use mucilin paste floatant on the thread ones Kerrye, they will float like a cork. It has to be mucilin though, any of the new synthetic style flotants wont work on them.

Thanks Steeldrifter. I had thought about trying some of George's Gink but hadn't got around to it. I have been messing around with my PC for several days and have not been keeping up with the posts here. Hopefully, next week, I will have reduced Microsoft on my PC to the status of a second class citizen. :devil:

Ok guys here is a newbe question! What are they? (I think I kind of know I saw some at ridderbos's tonight) and why? When you say "turn over a fly" Do you mean on you back cast? Help me out here Im interested

A thread furrled leader is just like a normal leader...only it's made of normally 6/0 or 8/0 tying thread. So as you would guess its is VERY soft and supple. When you cast and it "turns over the fly" that means it transfers the energy from the rod all the way down the leader to the fly and turns the fly over so it lands on top of the water VERY softly. They are an amazing leader if you have never tried one, I would suggest any dry fly fisherman try one!

I looked at some after I posted my reply via Google.com. They look pretty cool and I may try to find some for my bass and bluegill fishing. I'm afraid it will make my leader too long and cause me casting problems, though. :blink: If they're as good as the reviews claim, though, I may have to try.

I made 6 of them about a week ago. Used 1 lb florocarbon. They are really easy to make after the first one.

For those of you who make them. What lenght do you prefer. The ones I made were 6 feet long!

BFR

Ok guys here is a newbe question! What are they? (I think I kind of know I saw some at ridderbos's tonight) and why? When you say "turn over a fly" Do you mean on you back cast? Help me out here Im interested

I just posted a review of a furled fluorocarbon leader and an overview of furled leaders in general at FFOhio. There's a link on the landing page. The article includes links to several web sites that give explicit instructions for how to make your own. This might answer your question. Just click the link in my sig file.

Joe C.