Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Clouser minnow

I was reading the poll on T.F.F. about Clouser minnows. I have never fished one, and have only tied 2 maybe 3 of them. I was going to tie up a few for this years fishing but realized that maybe I am not tying them right. How far down the shank from the eye is the tail tied?

I see some flys that the tail is only tied to the middle, rear 2/3rds of the shank. While others are tied to where the hook starts to bend at the end of the shank.

I started thinking that it should be tied to the middle of the shank so that the fibers from the wing will blend with the tail, and produce a higher wing that will cover the hook point.

Once the wing is tied, in front of the wings, is it also bound down over the dumbbell eyes and behind them? I have seen this type of fly tied several different ways in photos, tying lessons, but am wondering what everyone thinks is the correct dressing of this fly?

I was also wondering how long should the fly be?

This is one that I watched Bob Clouser tie at the Michigan show He splits the shank in to thirds and ties the eyes back one third of the shank length back from the eye. He uses mustad 3366 hooks (so do I) Buck tail length should be 2.5 Times the length of the hook

post-2608-1143385403_thumb.jpg

Here is a smaller one using calf tail (again theseare tied by Bob Clouser

post-2608-1143385568_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, Do you guys tie your flies this way? I was wondering if anyone ties them different, (personal preference) and why?

Joe,

I generally tie mine that way. In my experience, tying the lead eyes near the hook eye gives more vertical jigging action. Tying the lead eyes 1/3 to 1/2 of the shank away from the hook eye maintains the horizontal position while sinking. I also find that tying the eyes nearer the center of the shank makes them slightly easier to cast. With the weight near the hook eye I seem to get a hinging effect when casting. I may just need to upsize my tippet though.

Hello All,

While I believe that the majority of Clouser Minnows are tied with the bottom wing being tied down both behind and in front of the barbell eyes on the underside of the hook, it should be noted that there are some who prefer to tie both the top and bottom wing together, above and in front of the barbell eyes.

This variation was first shown to me by the highly regarded Florida guide Steve Bailey, who said that he started tying the Clouser minnow that way after a discussion with Lefty Kreh. Lefty said that he believed that the fly would ride better if the entire wing was on the top. Steve agreed, and to this day ties his Clousers with the full wing tied on top and in front of the barbell eyes.

So there you have it. The bucktail streamer continues to evolve.

Keep it deep,

Whippersnapper

post-2358-1143405327_thumb.jpg

post-2358-1143405344_thumb.jpg

post-2358-1143405362_thumb.jpg

I use alot of craft fur anymore it sinks well ,dont have to use as much eye.

IPB Image

That way also use smaller hook put eye on the front 1/3 of shank to get it to nose drop or

put eye a little farther back to drop more even.

I don't prefer to tie my smaller size tails (for panfish) as long as 2.5 times the hook. Too often they are short hitting, and the closer the hook is to the tail, the better my hook up percentage is. But for the larger sizes for bass, etc., I am closer to the 2.5 times.

Check out the instructions on Charlie's Flybox. They are almost identical to how Bob tyes them. The only difference I noticed was that Bob tyes the belly hair in front of the eyes first, where Charlie tied it behind the eyes first.

bob also ties in the chrystal flash longer than the wings. And in a class i was in with him at the Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave, He also ties all of the wing on one side of the hook.

Good to see that others know another great guide and tier in Steve Bailey. I met him in MT years ago at the FFF show in livingston. i had the privilage to sit next to him during my shift.

Irish