Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

11th attempt

well i have been workin on this all night and this is the best one i have had outa 11 flies lol

I'm posting this to see what i need to change,tell me whats wrong or whats right with it dunno.gif i suck at deer hair so let me know what needs to be changed]

Thanks guys

Sd

user posted image

Ba-Dum-Bum!

Actually, it looks better than any of my Zoo Cougars. I tied a few right after the fist time I read about them, but haven't fished them yet. From several posts on here, I guess I'm missing out on something!

Damn that's a big Hex. tongue.gif

Pretty darn good if you ask me and only 11 attempts???? I think I did 3 dozen before I got one that was fishable.

Guest Ladykiller

SD,

If you are just using these flies for yourself, then they should be fine. Now if you are selling them, that is a different matter.

What people don't realize about this fly is that how it swims is very important. They tend to make the collar too thick and they pack the head too tight. When I floated with Bob Linsenman last fall, his flies looked like crap. But they swam great and looked good when wet.

My suggestion is this, put the fly on your line and cast it enough to thoroughly soak it. If it spins or does not swim correctly, you need to adjust it. Key points, keep the head broad and flat, but not big. These Umpqua production versions actually don't swim too well. Also, trim the hair on the bottom of the collar off if you are not doing so already. This keeps the fly swimming upright.

Maybe I'll post a step-by-step thread on this fly.

Tim i was hoping you you would reply to this.......i'm a bit lost as to your suggestion though, i respect your suggestion but help me with broad&flat but not big?

Is my head to big? i thought it wasnt big enough.......any help is fine bud ,lord knows i need it with streamers wink.gif

SD