Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stuck-in-muck

polar bear hair

hi ,

im going to get polar bear hair from one of my friends that lives in alaska in june .

was wondering what patterns i could tye with it ?

i know of one it would be " skykomish sunrise " .

any other ones ?

jim

anything you want to. the polar bear will give you a translucency that bucktail does not

Here is a bunch I just got done tying for this fall 2006. They are tied on a size 2 Dai-Riki hook.

I don't like to waste it too much, so for the wing I use half as much as a normal wing because I tie the PB in with the butts extending to the rear then fold over the tips. I also use the underfur for the wing on a second fly, same pattern.

Chip

post-609-1150398027_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398048_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398063_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398084_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398099_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398111_thumb.jpg

post-609-1150398129_thumb.jpg

I dunno about expensive,

:dunno:

but you better be fast with your scissors before the bear turns around and gits ya! :yahoo:

Supply and demand. No new supply can enter the US market (legally, that is...) only recycled taxidermy mounts and pelts taken before who knows when (1950s???) can be converted to tying materials. So assuming there's any demand, the price continues to go up. Plus it has unique properties not really imitated. Essentially the fibers are like fibre optic cables, where light travels along the hair, being re-emitted where the hair bends, during motion. The bear gets his/her vitamin D this way, not to mention stays warm in his solar powered fur parka.

I think there are a few places that sell polar bear hair but there aren't many. English Angling Trappings in Pawling, NY possibly. I don't know though. Since Jim Krul sold it and I had problems with orders with the new guy .. I quit buying there.

Mike

green and white Clousers for Large rainbows,

Salmon flies.

The dubbing makes great Dragon Nymphs when spun on a rope.

The Best Mickey Finn's that you'll ever see for large Brown Trout...

The List goes on but, Now you've got to learn how to Dye as well as Tye... :rolleyes:

Up here in the "Great White north" Polar Bear is readily available and not all that expensive, about $5.00 Cdn. per 2" x 3" patch. I heard not all that long ago of some people paying upwards of $6.00 US per square inch, that ranks it as probably more expensive than even high grade Jungle Cock capes.