Fly Tying
day5

June challenge

Graham asked me to post this as this months challenge. I caught a salmonfly last month and got some great pics of it. This looks like a interesting bug to try to imitate on a hook. I cant wait to see what you all come up with and you never know I may try my hand at my first realistic fly. You should be able to take the pics below and copy them on to your pc. then you should be able to zoom in on some of them depending on how I croped the pic.

post-2608-1149034804_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034820_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034841_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034863_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034880_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034901_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034917_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034938_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034951_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1149034970_thumb.jpg

Great looking photos! I haven't even come close to finishing the scorpion from last month :) But will try to find to time to atleast try! There are way to little realistic tying from me right now, I am beginning to miss it very much.

/Ulf

day5...I'll give the challenge a go! Your photos will help.

Come on Ulf...what's another fly in the vise? :rolleyes:

Later...Thom

This'll be a fun challenge. Day5 was kind enough to send me the stonefly in the mail, and I've been meaning to take some wing photos, then make a printable wing file, as well as a printable head capsule. It will likely be a few days until I do it, but I'll post the downloadable files here. You'd be amazed how many wings you can print on an 8.5" x 11" sheet.

Graham

Good of you to do that Graham...

I started last night and it's like I had 3 left hands :D Couldn't do ANYTHING right!!! I'm starting over but I may have hit the WALL! Could mean it's time for a break after I spit out this challenge :blink:

Later. Thom

Had a go, still got epoxy eyes to put on it, could have done the wing better, but I only have green raffia just now.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I really like the green wings, because it shows you have the drive to tye challenging patterns, and want to dive right in, even if it means not waiting to acquire more accurately colored materials. I think your time at the vise was well spent, resulting in a unique cool looking fly, and I look forward to seeing more. Good stuff!!!

Graham

Hey Garpin,

Nice, overall very nice, your wings look fantastic. I enjoy looking at your work.

I just plucked a wing from a salmonfly, scanned it into my computer, and made a set of 300 dpi printable wings. I'll be printing mine in a few minutes.

Below are two files, first is a single set of wings and the second is a full page layout. On the full page, the top 3 rows are exactly the same size as the real bug, and the next rows the size was reduced, for making more typically sized stoneflies.

post-992-1149525983_thumb.jpg

I just had a hard time getting the 300 dpi page to load here, so the resolution for the full page was reduced to 240 dpi, which changed the file size from 6 MB to 1.6 MB.

post-992-1149526689_thumb.jpg

Graham :D

The wings above can also be printed onto regular white paper, then staple a sheet of clear material over the white paper, then trace and scribe the lines onto the clear material, then a touch of coloring, and, voila, you have wings.

Graham...Wish I had those wings for my challenge salmonfly. Better yet, got a GOOD leg recipe???

Here is my salmonfly...I really had trouble with the legs, but overall it's a good effort. I used Aarne's scotch tape wing technique, using silk leaves for the veining. The underneath shot doesn't show it, but there is segmented yellow...Thom

post-3096-1149600894_thumb.jpg

post-3096-1149600910_thumb.jpg

post-3096-1149600931_thumb.jpg