Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Baby Brown Trout

It looks just about perfect.

However I'm not certain how well it will fish. You'll have to let me know. Only reason I say it is because I find there is a point when the overall length of the fly is dramatically larger than the shank that things start to get dicey. I don't know how that material will react so its just an unimformed observation at this point.

Another way to approach this fly would be to build half of it on a tube and the rest on the hook junctioned to the tube, would place the hook at the mid point of the fly may be better for hook ups.

That looks great Alex I like it alot. EP is just a flat out awesome material to tie with, I've been having very good results with the streamer tied with EP so far this year.

Only word of caution (and I'm sure you already know this but mertits mentioning)- if you add a trailer hook then be careful where you fish it. Some of the special reg waters you&I fish on the Au Sable are single hook only.

One of these days I'm gonna get off my butt and try out those EP Fibers. So far I've gotten used to tying with Icelandic Sheep Hair, krystal flash and flashabou. I like that stuff. I tie 'em almost like Dave Whitlock's Sheep Shad, but in a style more like a clouser (with various weighted eyes).

One thing I've read about but haven't tried yet would be to make a loop of mono and tie it in at the bend and tie the fibers on top. I guess it helps keep the fibers from binding. I'd probably try around 20lb test. Tie it on the far side of the shank at the bend, loop it and tie it off on the near side. When I try this, I may coat the thread wraps that tie the mono off with Loc-Tite super glue. If I get them done and try them out, I'll post the results here. If anyone else has already tried this... how does it work?

Mike

The mono loop is great for long flies with relatively few "strands" of material ei a long zonker strip, flat wing saddle hackle, that sort of thing.

Murphy's law applies to all long flies and fouling if it is at all physically possible its going to happen. This also applies to trailer hooks.

Another tactic could be to first tie in a tapered tail of superhair (or any other thick synthetic) then dab your fingers in softex and run it along the tail 2/3's of the way. That will be your baseline a solid foundation for the EP to work around. The fly will still foul (they all do) but it will likely be much less so.

I find in general synthetics work best when in conjunction with other materials - of course most of the flies you see listed are tied with just the one material since they were designed but the guy who invented it.

Try it first though, it may be fine - looks wise its really perfect.

I love those type of flies with the google eyes but never ever understood how the eyes get glued and stay on through all the fibers or hair and then, what type of glue is used or prefered for that matter............. and do they stay on for longer than 10 casts? I have trouble just keeping the eyes glued on my zonkers and that's when I glue them to a nice rigid mylar surface.

No matter how much I searched the web, I never have found a great clear explanation as to the procedure.

Any :help: would be greatly appreciated.

cruncher- I almost always stay away from Orvis proiducts :unsure: but I will tell you this. If you want stick on eyes that will stay on no matter what then pick up some of the Orvis prism eyes. I started using them a few weeks ago and I dont know what sort of adhesive they use on them, but they will just about rip the material off the fly if you even try to pull them off by hand. I'll guarantee you wont have problems with those coming off :headbang:

So are you saying that no other additive, that is glue, is added? You just peel them off and squeeze them on? If that's so, I must have some crappy or old product, and they aren't orvis either.

The other question I have is that I've bought google eyes, the 3-D ones that the eyes roll arround in, at a craft store and I wonder what people use to adhere these eyes to the hair or to a fly in general? They do not come with any adhesive, so that too has been my problem. :huh:

So are you saying that no other additive, that is glue, is added? You just peel them off and squeeze them on? If that's so, I must have some crappy or old product, and they aren't orvis either.

The other question I have is that I've bought google eyes, the 3-D ones that the eyes roll arround in, at a craft store and I wonder what people use to adhere these eyes to the hair or to a fly in general? They do not come with any adhesive, so that too has been my problem. :huh:

Correct. You just peel them off and stick them on, and they stay on.

I've used the 3-D eyes as well (doll eyes) and I use 5 min epoxy on them. I used super glue on some but it turns the material around the eye white if you arent careful, so thats why I started using epoxy on the doll eyes. Or as Sean mentioned Goop will work as well.