Fly Tying

Had my Red Ibisses done and took 'm along on a ff trip to Norway where I lost them in the river Glomma (along with 150 or so other flies in that box) when I was combining wading with swimming (got caught by the current due to careless wading :wallbash: , happens every now and then but usually don't lose flies in the process of doing that). So there will be one very happy Norwegian with a nice collection of streamers and wet flies (inc. 12 Red Ibisses). Got busy on it again, but had some practice on the Ibisses so those will be done soon. Then I have to concentrate on the White Millers, but don't expect any problems there. I will send them via Herman ASAP and will keep you posted on progress.

DNA

Sorry to hear that! :wallbash:

We had someone lose a box over here last month. With the help of the local board he was re-united with his flies. He said he puts his name and number inside every box now.

I know you're right someone has a great box of flies!

Goody

Due date is Sep 30

These flies are left...... If anyone feels like they need another six flies to tie.

Beaver Kill

Brown Hackle Peacock

Coachman

Royal Coachman

Pink Lady

Professor

Quill Gordon

Grey Hackle Yellow

Sept. 30 will be no problem.

Nice thought to put in a name and number in fly boxes... considering the time and money you can lose in a single fly box it's recommendable. Should do that :)

Threader,

I might be interested in the Brown Hackle Peacock.... Could you please post a pciture.

When is the due date again?

I made a table so that I could remember my swaps better, so hopefully my memory won't continue to be a problem. Getting older sucks!

sept 30...............

it takes about two weeks to get our flies over there, meaning I have to ship them at leat at sept 15.

Can you manage to have your flies at my adress before then DNA???

Sure thing. Been busy yesterday on them, will be busy on them again tonight. I have tied 7 * Red Ibis and 3 * White Millers. Since we have 7 entries tying 7 flies will be enough?

Threader,

I might be interested in the Brown Hackle Peacock.... Could you please post a pciture.

When is the due date again?

Brown Hackle Peacock - That's the spirit! We have lots of time can we get them all?

post-3807-1154606117_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'll take the Brown Hackle Peacock too.

How about other tiers taking on another pattern too so we can wrap this thing up, after all it's just six more flies to tie in six weeks or seven weeks...

Got them Ibisses and White millers finished yesterday. Will go along with another overseas swap via Herman, still working on that one but think I'll finish well before closing date -2 weeks for shipping. Think I'll be signing up for the Quill Grodon as well, is the added picture accurate?

post-5846-1154693419_thumb.jpg

DNA - Way to Go! :headbang: Quill Gordon .... This is the one from the box - you change as needed

post-3807-1154693820_thumb.jpg

These flies are left... only 6 patterns ... If anyone feels like they need another six flies to tie.

Beaver Kill

Coachman

Royal Coachman

Pink Lady

Professor

Grey Hackle Yellow

Threader - ME - Cal Royal Coachman, Dusty Miller, Blue Upright, Black Gnat female,

Red Ant, Royal Coachman (6 PATTERNS)

fly time - IN - cali. coachman and Cahill (2 PATTERNS)

Gray Squirrel - IN - McGinty

Moushka - IN - Cutthroat Fly, Bee and Brown Hackle Peacoc ... (3 PATTERNS)

Herman - IN - Black Gnat and the Gray Hackle Peacock (2 PATTERNS)

DNA - IN - Red Ibis, White Miller, Quill Gordon (3 PATTERNS)

Goody - IN - King of the Waters? Mosquito?? (2 PATTERNS)

DNA

I think some of the colors from these 40 - 50 year old flies are faded or a little changed.

I really had some work coming up with a blue hackle for a size 12 fly. :help:

The hackle on these flies are oversized, maybe a 8 or 10. But I did come up with some. You use what you can come up with.

Blue is not one of the most often seen colors for flies indeed. I had to do some improvising on the other 2 flies as well, both by lack of original material in the right color as well as the use of more durable materials (at least I think it is). They are no true copies of the original flies when looking at materials used, however I think the looks of the improvised versions closely match the originals...

I am having a little trouble with finding the right hooks. I am currently using vintage hooks made by Partridge of Redditch marked #12, 4 x Fine Forged Redditch Bend Turned Down Eye, 1 X Long and have tied up the cutthroat pattern. They looked okay for that pattern, but too long for the other patterns.

What brand and size hook are you guys using?