Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

Steelhead

So this will be my first year going flyfishing for steelhead. Apparently not too far north of me is great steelheading.

Im looking at a number of 10Ft 8wt rods and large arbor reels, lots too choose from.

Curious if anyone can recomend some books or websites on setups, presentation, flys and tactics when going for these large trout.

In my 15+ years of flyfishing I have never broken away from dryfly/nymphs so its new territory for me, so any advice and tips are welcome.

Sincerely,

Chris

Steelheading is a whole world unto itseld and is totally different between the east and west coast of the US, and actually can vary a good bit between the fall and spring runs. Here in Ohio the fall run is more condusive to soft hackles and nymphs and the spring run seems to lend more success to egg patterns, though after the first month eggs seem to work equally well.

There is far to much to cover in a post, but for a book I do no think there is any better than John Nagy's book Steelhead Guide as far as covering the full gamut from fish behavior and spotting, to gear, to rigging and flies. Matt Supinski's book Steelhead dreams is also well written, but he is less than a popular figure with many here so it pains me to say that.

Where are you located Chris?

Im located in Fergus Ontario.

I know there is good steelheading in caladonia (15 mins south of hamilton), but I know many of the guys at the local fly shops so they can probably point me in the right direction.

There is a bunch of bait fisherman (from work) going on a river steelhead trip in the last week of august and I want to put them all to shame with the fly rod (like I have done to them on other rivers). As much as I enjoy 20"+ browns 1/2 km from my apartment, I want to get into some larger fish (and possibly extend the fishing season)

Got to love the Grand. We have a few other guys here on the board that fish that area pretty regularly, maybe one of them will ontact you with some local nuggets... :dunno:

tightlines - You are going to absolutely love fishing for steelhead. I think you'll be able to fishing for them from late September thru April. I've used a number of different rods over the years on steelhead and my favorite set up is a 10 ft - 8 wt rod that I made myself. I made another 10 foot rod based on a noodle rod blank (St. Croix blank with a very soft/slow action), but don't l like casting it as much as my 8wt. The 10 ft length is also great for high stick nymphing technique and bottom bouncing various egg patterns.

I have four favorite books on steelhead fly fishing (not in any particular order):

"Steelhead Guide - Fly Fishing Techniques and Strategies for Lake Erie Steelhead" by John Nagy (Make sure you buy the 3rd edition or higher of this book). List Price = $39.95 US/$54.22 CND. ISBN 0-9665172-3-7. Published by Great Lakes Publishing. Although this book is written specifically for the Lake Erie Tributaries, the techniques, flies and leader formulas should work just about anywhere in the North East (I can't speak for the North West). Hardcover edition.

"Steelhead Fly Fising and Flies" by Trey Combs (This is an older book originally published in 1976, but was recently re-published as a paperback. When I looked through the book at the fly shop, I just had to buy it. The fish photos are in black and white but are outstanding. There is a great section of color fly patterns showing roughly 40 patterns/page for 8 pages that are all great patterns. I think I paid $18 USD for the book. ISBN 0-936608-03-X. Published by Frank Amato Publishing. Soft cover edition.

"STEELHEAD Fly Fishing. Tackle and Techniques, The Great Rivers, The Anglers and Their Fly Patterns", by Trey Combs (This is often called the bible of steelhead flyfishing). This book has everything you'd need to know and then some. ISBN 1-55821-903-X Soft cover edition. List Price $29.95/44.95 CND, but you can find it cheaper on line.

"Steelhead Dreams: The Theory, Method, Science and Madness of Great Lakes Steelhead Fly Fishing" by Matt Supinski. (This is one of my favorite books on steelhead fishing due to the great photos). ISBN 1-57188-219-7. Softcover. Published by Frank Amato Publications. List Price is $29.95 UD, but Amazon has it listed for only $18.87 US.

Hope this helps.

just ordered

STEELHEAD Fly Fishing. Tackle and Techniques, The Great Rivers, The Anglers and Their Fly Patterns

Looking forward to reading it.

Steelhead dreams is my favorite book I would advise you give it a look he seems to know the trade well. I ve read it cover to cover a couple times. Also Steve Nevalia( Unk. Spelling and Bob unk. last name did an excellent job on great lakes steelies and do a bit on technique but the high point of the book is the detailed trips they made and where when with whom etc... awesome book. I cant recall the title exactly but I'm sure many here have it and will correct me. there is a break down of rivers and regions in the book as well and Ontario is represented

gmaschke - I think the title of the book you mention above is "Great Lakes Steelhead: A Guided Tour for Fly-Anglers", by by Bob Linsenman and Steve Nevala (Paperback: 309 pages). Published by Countryman Press (September 1995). ISBN: 0881503126.

Yes I found the book in my mess here and ypu are correct. I knew if I came close someone hre would fill the rest in.

Thanx

Late reply, just saw your post, Linseman's book is good, didn't see Rick and Jerry Kustich's book Fly Fishing For Great Lakes Steelhead mentioned, IMO best of the lot. Great info especially on the more advanced techniques, and there aren't pictures of anglers holding up fish by the gills. After many years' fishing for steelhead I am still on the long learning curve. (If I could just learn how to get right motion on the down hand on the double handed rod!!) Good luck, if you're out this way, contact. JB

When out, if you see spawning salmon fish behind them as a number of eggs get washed out of the redd when they lay them. Cast there, even if you don't notice any. Sould pick up a nice bow or brown.

Good luck

Nindja