Fly Tying
chrisfish

Need a good all round camera

yesterday I realized I need a new camera. I used to carry a disposable, one time use, camera. It worked well but no way to get the pic's online. So i was very impressed with my wife's digital camera. it is nice to be able to load the pic's right into the computer. The problem I have is with the cameras lack of ajustability. I would like to be able to focus in on objects very close (flies in the vice). This camera wont do it. And I would like the thing to be relatively small and able to take a little abuse (fishing trips, a little H2O, some sand). does anyone have a favorite or a few suggestions to research.

Hi chrisfish,

A great small pocket sized 6mb camera, that can be submerged underwater to take pics is the Pentax Optio 10. I have seen some nice fishing pics taken with the camera, but I don't recall seeing and macro shots of flies. The link below probably has more info about macro capability, hopefully..

link to Pentax Optio 10 web site

Graham

chrisfish, i bought a pentax optio Wpi & megapixels

half year ago.excellent camera.post-4230-1153073941_thumb.jpg

If i should buy one now,it would be the new

pentax graham wrote abaut.

Tcr

For about 5 years I was VERY happy with my Sony DSC-70, cost about $800 new, but now they go less than $150

link to Amazon.com Sony DSC-70

It takes real nice macro shots, hand held, but is only 3.2mp It has a Carl Zeiss lens, making the picture quality relatively good. It is not water proof, but for years I used a wading belt that has a waterproof pouch on the front. I have waded more than waste deep countless times with the belt and pouch completely submered, for hours, and the camera was always dry. I like the belt pouch, bought at REI, made for river rafters, and it has a little mesh pocket on the front where I keep my "Landing-hand", which replaced my net years ago. I kept a couple of dessicant packs in the pouch, and learned to take the camera out every night, or the lens might be fogged up the next morning, resulting in some missed shots of nice fish.

I still need to figure out the best way to lug my new Nikon around on stream and keep it dry and easily accessible, its kinda bulky. The new pocket water proof cameras are so sweet, I might have to get one of those as well, for underwater shots.

Older model and/or used cameras can be a bargain. I now keep the old Sony in my vehicle, just in case I want to take a pic of something unexpected.

Graham

its hard to sacrifice quality for convenence. I used to have a nice pro quality camera i bought back in the day (15 yrs ago while in the navy). Completely manual with adjustable settings for everything, great lenses, etc. Got drunk in portugal, passed out and lost the thing. Big old bulky case and all. I was so used to having that nice camera that i have not bought a serious camera since. just the disposable ones. But this waterproof hand held looks pretty good, and tough. And that macro function is just what i was talking about for the flies.

I employ a canon SD20 with a waterproof case. Camera $350 and case at $68. 5.0 megapixel. Smaller than a cigarette pack in every dimension. Fits in a shirt pocket - even a tshirt. Does video underwater. and a good macro function for fishing flies. I am sure this camera can be purchased used as a lot of people (esp on this forum) are opting for the 8 and 10 megapixel varieties. (can't imagine why - must have some huge harddrives)

this little camera has to have all pictures resized as it is. 1.2 megs per shot.

a thought....I use paint to resize my photos. Does not mess with pizel quality whatsoever.

Open Paint

File Open

control w

enter something around 32 (meaning 32% of existing size)

tab

enter same figure to retain original shape

hit enter

done deal

no expensive program yet perfect everytime

Magnolia grandiflora taken with the SD20 while in Chaleston, SC a very large flower and set it in a water glass used the digital studio lights (2) from underneath.

22 tab 22 enter

IPB Image

32 tab 32 enter

IPB Image

full size photo only cropped this portion to show you detail of macro. Shot taken from about 12" as I recall. Your fly pictures will be more detailed as you will be closer.

IPB Image

hope this gives you some insight

later

Fred

A further note

I use Village Photos to post my pictures. $5.00 per month for availability of 1600 pics. You guys are worth it.

the previous cropped photo is 18k

later

Fred

excerpt from my account

You have a Plan B: 6,000 MB Monthly Transfer account, paid until 7/18/2006.

Your account's usage will reset on day 14 of each month.Your monthly transfer limit is 6,000.00MB per month.Help On limits

At present have a little over 200 pics on this site and if I keep this up there will surely be more. Better get to writing so you can see some of them NO?

Nice pic Fred!

I had a Canon Powershot SD230 for several years and it was a great camera. I liked it so much that when it was time to upgrade I got the SD550 for $300. As far as a compact goes, I couldn't be happier.

I also purchased the waterproof housing for it. The housing is comparatively bulky, but it is waterproof to something like 100' and I could run over it with my truck and it'd be fine. :headbang: